Does anybody make use of hotbeds?

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It is a very old fashioned method to propagate, modern times offer much better and faster ways, BUT it offers a free source of heat. It takes a little time and effort to set it up, but I am getting 5°C more than surrounding soil, and my beds are mere weeks old. Does anybody make use of it? What are the negatives to it?

Attachments

• 20200731_080453.jpg
    20200731_080453.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 29

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not even sure what you mean by "hot bed". I use artificial bottom heating for propagating seeds (electric heat pads) but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about here.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This kind of hotbed..Close to what you have, just, decomposing manure instead of electric heat pads..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Haven't used it... though I do buy composted manure every now and then and notice how it can sometimes be "hot" even when it is supposed to be fully composted.

I assume you would have to separate the germination media from the manure? For example, you place the manure, put down a screen, and then your germination soil? Looking at your setup, it made me think of two levels where you could have a drawer underneath for manure so you could replace the manure as it aged and broke down.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haven't used it... though I do buy composted manure every now and then and notice how it can sometimes be "hot" even when it is supposed to be fully composted.

I assume you would have to separate the germination media from the manure? For example, you place the manure, put down a screen, and then your germination soil? Looking at your setup, it made me think of two levels where you could have a drawer underneath for manure so you could replace the manure as it aged and broke down.

Yes, it has a separate layer of soil atop, just composted soil.. But sadly only loose on top, no drawer.. Great idea though. I am growing from seed and cuttings, building my pre-bonsai, grafting material and root stock up..

Top Bottom