Does anybody think this crepe myrtle is worth the money??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really like the bark on mature myrtles. Found some decent sizers at a local landscape nursery.

Here is one I thought had the most potential due to the base. $39.99
499F20FC-334E-4822-B38E-354494158B17.jpeg2FB5C048-4F52-4C21-B23E-14B815737F3C.jpeg41D1B3ED-BE6E-48F1-9508-2BBC8508BD8E.jpeg4532BD2F-EFD4-428B-8DB0-B140AB9D0FFD.jpeg7D453A3A-0F1A-47D4-B317-98740E4EA265.jpeg
maybe trunk chop... sumo?? Would it survive??
Let me know what you guys think

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely yes.

And crepe myrtles can survive anything. Probably nuclear war.
Thanks for the response.

Think it would survive the trunk chop now or should I wait till next spring?? I’m gonna at least have to prune it back hard just to get it in my Honda lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’d pass. I don’t see a good base, or a good trunk line to chop back to, and as fast as they grow, you aren’t really ahead with $40 spent.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d pass. I don’t see a good base, or a good trunk line to chop back to, and as fast as they grow, you aren’t really ahead with $40 spent.

It’s not great. Especially past the base.

I was thinking something like this

5A878B89-964B-4A2A-91E5-FEC1CC335A19.jpeg

$40 is a lot of money for some...

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s not great. Especially past the base.

I was thinking something like this

$40 is a lot of money for some...
Well, there are great deals at $4000, and ripoffs at $40. To me, what you’d be left with isn’t worth $40. I’d look for something with a better base, and without scars to heal, and maybe a good second section of trunk to chop back to. Even if it’s smaller, starting with something of better quality planted in the ground for couple years would produce a 3” trunk, without flaws to overcome.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, there are great deals at $4000, and ripoffs at $40. To me, what you’d be left with isn’t worth $40. I’d look for something with a better base, and without scars to heal, and maybe a good second section of trunk to chop back to. Even if it’s smaller, starting with something of better quality planted in the ground for couple years would produce a 3” trunk, without flaws to overcome.
So you see nothing with the proposed chop marks? That’s fine if you don’t. I see a little something in there. Although it might not be worth the effort...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Too bad there's no long shot of the proposed front...

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All bonsai considerations aside, nursery stock is usually priced by the size of the container. I can't tell from the photos, how big is it? Relative to the size of the container, it has a thick trunk for nursery stock. My guess is that it is pretty root bound.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All bonsai considerations aside, nursery stock is usually priced by the size of the container. I can't tell from the photos, how big is it? Relative to the size of the container, it has a thick trunk for nursery stock. My guess is that it is pretty root bound.

Trunk is about 3-4 inches where it meets the nebari

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So you see nothing with the proposed chop marks? That’s fine if you don’t. I see a little something in there. Although it might not be worth the effort...
Still no. But it’s not my time or money, so if you see something, don’t ask here, go get after it.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It doesn’t seem that bad to me. It’s hard to tell but there might be some better potential with higher chops

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You think taking it down half way or so now. Let if recover for a season. Then chop the rest would help insure survival?
If I can't see it, nobody can offer opinions. The nebari and low trunk are very interesting, but a tree is a whole thing and to be a great tree it has to have the rest of the story.

Top Bottom