Does anyone have after-care advice for a collected Rosemary?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The 'secret' flavor that makes risotto sing..
Great with lamb.
Everything Mediterranean requires it.

There are three great smells in life
  1. coffee beans
  2. basil
  3. rosemary
Actually there is a forth, but it is number one. :eek:
Damn dude! You're making me horny!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Recipe please, or it didn't happen!
I can't take credit for the glaze, something I picked up in a spice shop. But the secret to good pork chops is to brine them, and don't cook them to death.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
has anyone had luck with rosemary? I've read through this thread, and it seems they aren't worth the effort, but there's a nice one that i can collect for free this summer / early fall. evergreen gardenworks has an article on them , so i'm thinking there is hope.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
has anyone had luck with rosemary? I've read through this thread, and it seems they aren't worth the effort, but there's a nice one that i can collect for free this summer / early fall. evergreen gardenworks has an article on them , so i'm thinking there is hope.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-rosemary-thread.13259/
It really depends on the species and there are many. This larger one does not like being in a small pot. The pot in the photo almost killed it. Notice the deadwood. It's in a much larger pot now and doing fine. I've had it for 25+ years. The smaller one, in the nanban has had no problem in 3 years now......go figure!! There is a nursery guy in Ohio who's had one in a typical rectangular bonsai pot with a modified potting soil for 22 years. It gets roots pruned every 2 years and is very healthy. Its genetics are half officinalis and half prostrata.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 23

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
interested also. my wife just purchased some as potted plants I don't want them to die as they were a little pricey.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't collected any landscape material but I have reduced and repotted two from 5 gal nursery cans. I didn't completely bare root in the first round, planted in pumice and both have been growing virourously all summer.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It really depends on the species and there are many. This larger one does not like being in a small pot. The pot in the photo almost killed it. Notice the deadwood. It's in a much larger pot now and doing fine. I've had it for 25+ years. The smaller one, in the nanban has had no problem in 3 years now......go figure!! There is a nursery guy in Ohio who's had one in a typical rectangular bonsai pot with a modified potting soil for 22 years. It gets roots pruned every 2 years and is very healthy. Its genetics are half officinalis and half prostrata.
Those are really nice ones David! I find them to be just as you outlined. However, I don't have 25+ years experience with them to base my findings on. They are finicky to deal with in bonsai pots. They seem to much more forgiving in the ground. I have 4 in the ground and just about two weeks ago I trimmed one back because it was getting out of hand (3 foot long branches). I found a sucker on one and cut it off to throw it away. I got ready to toss it then decided to just throw it in the ground because it had some roots on it. It still looks healthy as a horse. Now, when I dig up one of the big ones, it will probably die from being over careful.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
thanks for the link, not sure how i missed that one.

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Air layer it, trust me.
They air layer in a blink of an eye and build tons of roots.
Collecting them from the ground is incredibly hard.

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1 year late but here I am.
Rosemary is native here, we have incredible specimen around the coasts.

Indestructible while on the ground, it withstands crazy amounts of wind from the sea, months long droughts in sandy soil, over 40 degrees summers.
Seems to have no issues if started in a pot, pretty much every house have one for seasoning food.
Collecting one is a whole different thing tho, hard as hell, and even after a successfull collection they usually suffer and can die anytime.

Your best bet is airlayering the trunk or big branch with the tourniquet+ring cut method in May (mediterranean climate).
They airlayer very easily and in a matter of 1-2 months only, with lot of roots.
They behave like junipers, having different live veins with different part of roots that feed the respective foliage. So make sure to constrict all the veins when you airlayer.

If you want to collect them you need as many roots as possible, dont touch the foliage, dont bare root.
Misting the foliage should help.
I'm not aware yet if they need their own mychorrhiza like pines, it might probably be.

Like junipers but worse, don't prune them hard, root prune at minimum. You can pinch them.
Dont repot too often and dont put them in small pots. Very draining soil and let it dry before watering again. Full sun. Protect from frost.

Top Bottom