Does anyone know of any woman who pulls yamadori from the muck?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Where are the lady swamp rats? I'm a swamp rat. I know several swamp rats. I was out with a swamp rat just this past Saturday. But where are the ladies?

I know of only one woman who currently gets down into the water and muck to pull trees. She lives down in Thibodaux, Louisiana. She's a wonderful artist and a benefit to bonsai.

But that's it. Just the one. I've been pulling trees from swamps for 22 years, and she's the only one I know who does it.

Does anyone know of any women who are ready to get filthy dirty in the swamp?

To be clear: I am not saying that they won't or can't or (God forbid) shouldn't. I'm only saying that men appear to be the majority of enthusiasts (idiots? :) ) slopping around in the muck.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spent my younger years in the Everglades and mangrove swamps. My young bride would come with me but if truth be told, she's rather stay in the boat.

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
Where are the lady swamp rats? I'm a swamp rat. I know several swamp rats. I was out with a swamp rat just this past Saturday. But where are the ladies?

I know of only one woman who currently gets down into the water and muck to pull trees. She lives down in Thibodaux, Louisiana. She's a wonderful artist and a benefit to bonsai.

But that's it. Just the one. I've been pulling trees from swamps for 22 years, and she's the only one I know who does it.

To be clear: I am not saying that they won't or can't or (God forbid) shouldn't. I'm only saying that men appear to be the majority of enthusiasts (idiots? :) ) slopping around in the muck.

I bet some farm girls would. Unfortunatly i dont know any.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Coming from a botanical background, of sorts, I possibly have seen more ladies looking for plants in the muck, Marsh, rain, and mud more than fellas, or at least at equal frequencies. This may be that women appear to increasingly outnumber men in biological science...? Dunno. Either way, they’re out there, and a force to be reckoned with.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a few young women who are professional bonsai artists now, hopefully they can reach more of their demographic! I can think of two in the states, and one euro artist.

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score

Okay, what trees do you coon-asses (maybe I shouldn't use that Louisiana terminology??) pull from the swamps of your state??

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If I had swamps, I would be pulling tree from them. I'm always happy to get down and dirty
Love it!

I have daughters and I encourage doing whatever catches their interests. Sadly, they think I'm crazy to go out there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
?. Texans have tough women and clean digs. No mucking around in the snake-infested gator swamps, please. We leave that to our neighbors to the east.

View attachment 175848
Don't sell Texans short! ;-) Rattlesnakes, BIG black widows and coyotes always a possibility. The occasional mule, goat or bull can also crop up. Nothing like have 15 curious cattle investigating you and your equipment mid-collection and milling around stepping on you.

Top Bottom