Does anyone know this bonsai

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
It was given to me as a gift and indoor bonsai did awful in house and I moved it outside and put in a training pot and it came around. I just don't know what it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 59

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A close up picture of a leaf or two would help, but it LOOKS likeit might be a Chinese elm.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like a Serissa, they are finicky as anything.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
i would second that its likely a serissa. should do well outdoors in north carolina. Likely cold sensitive(below 40-45F) and definitely freeze sensitive though

Last edited:

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Any suggestions on care does it need to come in this winter. It seems to hate everything I do to it.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
please read what i said above about temperatures. So if that applies to you then yes bring inside your garage or something non heated/airconditioned during those temps

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Without knowing exactly where it was purchased, and based on leaves, this could also be a Daphne odora. Close ups of the branch tips will verify this. A source I read mentioned serissa leaves smelling bad when bruised, and blooming march - october. Daphne blooms at once in the winter and is a fickle, short lived little gem of a shrub.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Hyde-...-month/February/Daphne-odora--Aureomarginata-

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Without knowing exactly where it was purchased, and based on leaves, this could also be a Daphne odora. Close ups of the branch tips will verify this. A source I read mentioned serissa leaves smelling bad when bruised, and blooming march - october. Daphne blooms at once in the winter and is a fickle, short lived little gem of a shrub.

I still definitely think it's a Serissa. Based on the coloration around the leaves it's most likely a Serissa foetida.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What is the leaf size of Serissa?

I don't own one anymore, as the last one I had died when I sneezed near it. The leaves on this tree look just about the same size as a Serissa's leaf. The bark also looks the same.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't own one anymore, as the last one I had died when I sneezed near it. The leaves on this tree look just about the same size as a Serissa's leaf. The bark also looks the same.

Well of course it died with treatment like that ! One should never sneeze, fart, overwater, underwater, change the orientation of the serissa, look at it wrong, speak to it or around it in harsh tones or feritlize one unless its the precise quantity and strength for that size serissa. ;)

ed

Reaction score
The previous owner of our home planted one in the landscape that has lived through some pretty cold winters in the ground. We have been in the home 7 years in NE Alabama. I am planning on cutting it back next summer for cuttings.

Top Bottom