Does anyone know what this seedling is?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Anyone? This sprouted on the rootball edge of my collected big Yew. Was in the crappy soil too. Yanked it out, broke tap root in half in the process. Stuck it in better soil and it now have two leaves. Tell me this at least make nice flowers! Thanks :)
20180511_184550.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
too soon? Those bottom leaves are looking like the cotyledons, maybe should not go by them for ID. The new leaves should hopefully harden into something more discerning. It doesn't exactly look like my few hornbeams.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah OK. I thought them large weird cotyledons would be unique enough to take a guest.

Will report back in a week or 2...

Thanks TN_Jim

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They may be..I’m curious about it. First true leaves deserve more discussion and publication ( seems rarely talked about, but I bet someone here would have a pretty damn good guess what that is), and winter bud ID are good things I’m down to know.

Field guides and keys are often very season specific, perhaps with morphology of woody spring plants getting least attention..? Shiit make ya nuts

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks like a little Beech. See what I did there?;)

Well... there goes the flowers :/ If it could of been either one, I wished it would of been a River Birch though. I drive to and from work and pass this house with a River Birch that have two bright white trunks that really stands out. Makes me want to try a Birch forest.

I will keep this one though as I can't intentionally kill any plants, except weeds (the bad kind).

Thanks for the help guys. Very much appreciate it!:)

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good idea. Will have to go out to where I plucked it and see if anything is there. Good thinking, something I don't do enough :oops:

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Used tweezers, and carefully remove soil particulates until you see the seed. We might be able to tell if it's a Beechnut.
If he yanked it out, it might be a bit late to spot a seed. That may have been left in the previous site.

I think @leatherback is right. Judging by what popped up when I dropped "beech cotyledon" into a search engine, that looks an awful lot like a beech seedling.

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well definitely not a birch (as you've gathered) . I'm growing some at the moment ^. ^

DSC_0100.JPGDSC_0101.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 25

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I too like alnus for the deeper venation
Cable, you got them chordate bases

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of birch’s, anybody heard the new Dennis Vojtilla mirai podcast, good stuff. Made some brain wrinkles

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Alder or Beech. We shall see when the leaves are fully grown.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Cable looking at Google images on Beech seedlings, the cotyledons (first set of leaves) is exactly the same. It's a Beech 100%.

And my mistake. Paper birch will make an awesome forest or grove. Although I read they're short lived.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cotlyedons all look the same to me, at least on herbaceous spp., have you looked at the other species and coming compared? I’m really curious and new to this concept.

Also, above reads like I was calling cable a birch, seriously not intended :)

Top Bottom