Does anyone know what's wrong with this Benjamina?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Does anybody know why this Benjamina's new growth is largely coming in yellow? Maybe some kind of mineral deficiency? I don't think it's sunburned.

I repotted it back in February into a largely inorganic mix (Perlite/DE/Scoria/Bark Fines at 2:2:1:1-ish). Beginning in March, I've fertilized every couple weeks with Miracle Grow and once with earthworm castings.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7862.jpg

Steez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe ease up on the ferts. Let it acclimate and dry a little between watering. Is it full sun?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yep, full sun and has ample chance to dry out between waterings. I did move it to the other side of the yard where it'll get a few hours less sun per day until I can figure out what's going on with it.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anybody know why this Benjamina's new growth is largely coming in yellow? Maybe some kind of mineral deficiency? I don't think it's sunburned.

I repotted it back in February into a largely inorganic mix (Perlite/DE/Scoria/Bark Fines at 2:2:1:1-ish). Beginning in March, I've fertilized every couple weeks with Miracle Grow and once with earthworm castings.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 299349
I see 2 issues:
- Your soil content has too much inorganic. The fícus needs more organic. I have used inorganic / organic with 2/3 ratio
- you fertilized the tree too soon. I would not fertilize the new transplanted tree at least 2 months . I only start fertilizing it when the tree has new shoot with about 10 cm in length and always use organic fertilizer at first. I would add inorganic fertilizer when the tree is really growing strong .

At this time, I see the tree is really weak. If I were you, I would soak the whole pot into the water container in few hour and replace the water and soak the tree again for few hours . The reason I did is that I wanted all of fertilizer was removed from the soil. Then I would place the tree in the cool indirect sunlight area . I would wait until the new growth is stronger, then I would move it to the direct morning sunlight . Good luck to you.
Thụ Thoại

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks as dry as a pop-corn-fart, as my father was fond of saying. How often do you water this tree? Ficus are almost impossible to kill but it appears you may have found a way I haven't seen since the days of the infamous Ficodeath. Some people around here may remember him, he tried everything to bring them around but anything he tried ended in the compost heap.

Last edited:

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We need better photos. Benjamina leaves can come out a very pale yellow. Some of mine do, even when they are happy and cranking out growth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
LOL popcorn fart, @Vance Wood. I water this tree every day, and once summer gets real hot and dry out here I water twice daily. I guess the tree being too dry is a possibility, but I've got to believe there's a different explanation. The situation is as @MHBonsai suggests, that the new leaves are growing in yellow rather than drying out and turning yellow. I'll concede that the leaves look shriveled and crispy in the first photo I posted, but the yellow leaves are as supple as any ordinary new growth. Here's a photo to try to demonstrate:

IMG_7870.jpg

I'm folding the leaf in attempt to show that....well, it folds rather than breaks like a potato chip.

@MHBonsai, here are some additional photos as you've suggested are needed. Hopefully these give you a better idea of what's going on:

IMG_7868.jpg This one just showing some of the yellow new growth.
IMG_7869.jpg Different angle showing new yellow growth. In this photo and the one above, you can see a few things: 1) lots of yellow growth, but also some older green leaves in the background; 2) a decent number of new growth tips; 3) some of the yellow leaves are starting to green up a bit again, almost looking like a variegated cultivar. This greening up has largely occurred in the last couple days since I moved it to the shadier side of the yard.
IMG_7871.jpg This is the longest branch on the tree, showing that the older leaves here are green.
IMG_7872.jpg Here's a substrate detail

In its past life, this tree was a Home Depot braided topiary thing that I bought on a lark sometime last year to trunk chop and see if I couldn't get it to push some buds real low. Knowing Benjamina's propensity for dieback, I chopped it probably eight inches above the soil line hoping there would still be enough tree beneath the dieback that would survive. And, that's exactly what happened. The top six inches of the tree died back, it pushed some buds from the lowest two inches of trunk, and that's what you see in the photos above.

The photos below are what became of the top of the tree that I chopped off. Stuck it into some succulent soil and it rooted out, and then I repotted it back in February at the same time I repotted the one above (into the same substrate mix). Somewhat interestingly, while it's showing some some of the same yellow new growth as the other tree, you'll see that it's also got way more green growth and generally seems much more vigorous. At first this seems sort of counter intuitive, but I suspect it's because it's got more foliage for energy production than the bottom of the tree did.

IMG_7873.jpg
IMG_7874.jpg
IMG_7875.jpg

I know this is a lot of work in a short period of time, but given ficus' ability to deal with severe insults (and the fact that they generally grow like weeds here in LA) I felt confident the tree could handle it without succumbing to Ficodeath (another great term, @Vance Wood). The tree seems weak, but it also doesn't seem to be dying, but rather trying real hard to live.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting - it does look like it may be a different cultivar of some kind. New growth looks OK to me, maybe a little light but not bad. I'd say keep doing what you are doing as long as the tips are still pushing new leaves and see if they green up over time. Give it time to recover.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is possible that you have a serious PH problem?? What kind of solil have you used for this tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Would a PH problem be a soil or water issue?

The substrate is DE/Perlite/Scoria/BarkFines, and a touch of horticultural charcoal. I didn't measure the mix exactly, but I'd guess it's probably 2:2:1:1:.25.

I have other ficuses (Willow Leaf, Macrocarpa, Ginseng, Religiosa) in similar mix that get the same water, and those don't have the same issue with yellow leaves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have these been outdoors?

I think ficus is smart, or stupid and strong, enough to just need to grow, and if the rest of the leaves are providing enough green surface area, it will grow because it has to, it can't help it, but it doesn't need the green for energy, so it makes em yellow.

Or you have too much of something that's not Iron.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@sorce, your suggestion that it might have too much of something seems to mirror what @bonhe was suggesting as well. Maybe that's indeed the case. And yes, these trees are always outdoors.

Carl1515

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 299349
Hello everyone, new here. I'll jump in with a little ficus experience I have.
That is a variegated Ficus Benjamina . The new leaves may bud with a light yellow/ivory color throughout or green patterned with the ivory color. As the leaves mature some of the variegated leaves may take on more of the green coloration some will maintain their patterning. What is interesting with the variegated Benjamina is that the variegation changes throughout the life of the tree as leaves are replaced. You sometimes get more variegation and sometimes less.
The leaf coloration is not an issue.
In general, Ficus like high humidity and a drier medium and full sun. I let my older ficus go almost completely dry between waterings. They do not like to be moved around very much and ficus will drop leaves if you move them too much, cold snap, etc.
The soil mix I use is 1/3 granite chips, 1/3 orchid bark and 1/3 pumice with a little akadama added in. A well draining mix.
Try to remove the fertilizer as @bonhe suggested. Let it dry a bit between waterings, but since it's a youngster, not completely dry. An area that gives 4-5 hours of direct sun would be good. As tree matures move it into full sun.

Top Bottom