Does anyone know where this tree is on display?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does anyone know if this bonsai displayed anywhere in the US? I would love to be able to see it in person.

749px-Trident_Maple_bonsai_52,_October_10,_2008.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is at the National Arboretum in Washington D.C. among the hundreds of other bonsai in the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum:

Click on page 5 of the thumnails at the bottom of this page:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/site/japanese.html

It was among the original bi-centennial gifts of bonsai from the Government of Japan in 1976. It's nice, but is but one of a collection of jewels there. If you're ever in D.C., it's a must see...

By the way, the National Arb. is hosting the annual Potomac Bonsai Association show and sale this weekend. That's also a MUST if you're in the area. Vendors, demos, competitions, etc. galore. Always a good way to blow your mortgage money:D

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you rockm! I think we might be making a road trip this summer, so this will definitely be on the list. I appreciate you responding so quickly :)

I'm really sad that I won't be able to make it to the show this weekend! There's a show up here in Grand Rapids, MI that apparently Vance is doing a demo at, but I don't think the vendors will have nearly as much as they will at the Bonsai and Penjing museum :( Oh well, there's always next year.

Is the show always on the same date each year? I'm thinking I can plan ahead right now....

And yes, I'll make sure to bring my life savings and first born to barter with. haha

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The spring show is usually the first weekend in May. Here is some information on this weekend's line up. We're fortunate this year to have Chase Rosade, Harry Hirao and Julian Adams as some of the stars in attendance :D

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Education/events.html

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And if anyone is going this weekend -- If you're driving up from South of the District, AVOID Northbound NEW YORK AVENUE . There is a major construction project going on at the railroad bridges near union station. Going through the District on 395/SE Freeway will add a half hour to 45 minutes to your trip. I was up there the day the project started and it was a mess.

Approach the District using I 295 or Rt. 50 and come in from the North. I exited that direction to get home and the backups weren't as bad...You mileage may vary, though...It's D.C. traffic after all.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This was my favorite from that link. It's perfect.

Attachments

• 30-Acer_palmatum_fs.jpg
    30-Acer_palmatum_fs.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 45

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone had asked about how the trunk on this maple was made. It looks to me, having taken a closer look on Saturday during the PBA show, that it is the result of a long-ago trunk chop. You can see it at the juncture of the first right hand branch at the back....

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 25

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was at the show on Friday, and had forgotten how big this tree was. It's probably a good three and a half feet tall.

The tree looked great. Unfortunately my picture came out dark due to the angle of the sun at the time, but here it is with a little enhancement.

Attachments

• Trident Maple - USNA.jpg
    Trident Maple - USNA.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom