Does anyone plant other plants in the same pot with their bonsai

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen during google images...some who really do up a landscape in the same pot with the bonsai tree. Curious if anyone here does this. How does this effect the bonsai tree...with nutrients?

I wouldn't mind doing something with...a miniature something or other...maybe...or a path and moss. Maybe a bench under the slanted part of my bonsai tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Or maybe just moss and this cute sign.

--Sign measures approximately 5/8 inches wide x 7/8 inch tall.

--Wire hanger measures approximately 3 1/2 inches tall. But one can stick it into the soil to make it shorter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 73

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't and probably won't...unless my daughter asks me to. She's been making miniature of everything lately using sculpey bake clays and it may spill over bonsai. Just like baking, my wife and daughter baked cupcakes decorated with piped trees. Then they improved on it by making chocolate trees and "planted" them on top of the cup cakes. Our bonsai club loved those.

I will probably try penjing (Google it) in the future though. :)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There are several large landscape at the NC Arboretum that use three or four different plants in them to great effect.

I think if you search here for NC Arboretum you can find some pictures.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unfortunately my most common co habitant is clover, which generally I pick out, unless the bonsai in question has been over-potted, unhealthy, or otherwise having a hard time drying out the pot. Then I will let the clover and grass grow wild until it gets in balance with a daily watering schedule. Once the tree is strong I try to get rid if the clover whenever it crops up in order to not divert resources. Unfortunately it ends up being established and very hard to get rid of at that point, so a better idea would be to not over pot in the first place.
I know that isn't what you were going for, but I thought I would present the idea since I always get some funny looks when I want to leave a clover or wild strawberry in place.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually I think I understand what you mean and I am hoping this answers you correctly:

Chinese Bonsai differs from its Japanese counterpart in that it is more wild, brighter coloured and more eccentric artisically than the Japanese tradition of thick trunks and simple shapes with muted colours. Penjing also is more likely to have varied wild natural landscapes in minature whereas the Japanese style is usually to have the Bonsai tree alone in a simple container or pot. More literally, bonsai means ‘tree in a pot’ and Penjing means ‘tray scenery’. In Penjing the miniature landscape may use natural or artificial rock, soil or wood. There are 3 recognised styles of Penjing In China :

Tree Penjing (shumu penjing)

Landscape Penjing (shanshui penjing)

Water-and-Land Penjing (shuihan penjing)

All of these styles have some overlap, although some elements are more predominant than others depending on the artist’s direction.

Grimmy ;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't and probably won't...unless my daughter asks me to. She's been making miniature of everything lately using sculpey bake clays and it may spill over bonsai. Just like baking, my wife and daughter baked cupcakes decorated with piped trees. Then they improved on it by making chocolate trees and "planted" them on top of the cup cakes. Our bonsai club loved those.

I will probably try penjing (Google it) in the future though. :)

Now that is BEYOND cool! Wow...I've seen miniature versions of ones attempting this. But...wow! That is really amazing!

Just curious if you've shared some of your wife and daughter's talents here...anywhere? Would love to see what they create.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to keep an interesting variety of accent plants in separate little pots. It seems that plants in the pot tend to overrun and just another hassle to deal with. I grow trays of moss in nursery trays so I have a bunch of it for a show when I need it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess...my biggest obstical is that my bonsai which is a Shohin...the pot it is in puts the soil and roots at 2 1/4" tall. I keep reading about how your to keep shallow pots...and find it hard selecting the next size up pot...it leaves me limited when I am looking at at least a 2" tall pot. Most at under that...that I really like. So...that said I was hoping to do something inside the pot to distract ones attention to the thicker pot it is in.

With Bougainvilleas...they don't like their roots messed with a lot as well...so pruning them back for a thinner pot worries me. I figured if I could so something to distract ones attention in the pot with the Shilon bonsai would be my best bet. Maybe I am over analyzing this far to much. But...I really prefer the thin oval pots...and at this time...it is out of the question. So...that is where I am at...

I have two pots that I sort of like...but am not in love with. :(

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have seen during google images...some who really do up a landscape in the same pot with the bonsai tree. Curious if anyone here does this. How does this effect the bonsai tree...with nutrients?

I wouldn't mind doing something with...a miniature something or other...maybe...or a path and moss. Maybe a bench under the slanted part of my bonsai tree.

Here's one I've been working on for a while: Juniperus virginiana, Cotonester dammeri, and Pyracantha sp. (added by mistake) :p

Planted on a slate sheet.

Attachments

• 9-13 trayJPG.jpg
    9-13 trayJPG.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 46

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Photo Sep 07, 1 07 45 PM.jpg

I have started using this gray rock for a few plantings I have. It is the one place I am using a variety of plants in a single planting. I do it here mostly because I can drill out separate areas to plant the individual plant in it's own area. That was root don't get intertwined and one chokes out the other.

The real problems with multiple plants together is one plants root system will be more invasive than the other.

The little plant in the front center of the rock is called Elfin Thyme. The leaves are 1/16 of an inch or smaller. really cool stuff. Sets of the scale nicely.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 41514

I have started using this gray rock for a few plantings I have. It is the one place I am using a variety of plants in a single planting. I do it here mostly because I can drill out separate areas to plant the individual plant in it's own area. That was root don't get intertwined and one chokes out the other.

The real problems with multiple plants together is one plants root system will be more invasive than the other.

The little plant in the front center of the rock is called Elfin Thyme. The leaves are 1/16 of an inch or smaller. really cool stuff. Sets of the scale nicely.

Looks amazing! Great idea of drilling into the rock and keeping the roots contained.

Curious...could someone bury a small planter of something in the same container as a bonsai...keeping the root system from being entangled?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess...my biggest obstical is that my bonsai which is a Shohin...the pot it is in puts the soil and roots at 2 1/4" tall. I keep reading about how your to keep shallow pots...and find it hard selecting the next size up pot...it leaves me limited when I am looking at at least a 2" tall pot. Most at under that...that I really like. So...that said I was hoping to do something inside the pot to distract ones attention to the thicker pot it is in.

With Bougainvilleas...they don't like their roots messed with a lot as well...so pruning them back for a thinner pot worries me. I figured if I could so something to distract ones attention in the pot with the Shilon bonsai would be my best bet. Maybe I am over analyzing this far to much. But...I really prefer the thin oval pots...and at this time...it is out of the question. So...that is where I am at...

I have two pots that I sort of like...but am not in love with. :(

I repotted my bougie in August into a smaller pot and it didnt miss a best. If done at the right time and given the right aftercare, which in this case wood be warm temps, should e no problem to repot. In the tropics these are like weeds, they can root several feet wide cuttings.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Curious...could someone bury a small planter of something in the same container as a bonsai...keeping the root system from being entangled?

The methods used are only limited to your creativity and resources. For example you can purchase a pot that has a pond area in it. You can have a friend fire a pot like that with crushed blue glass in it for a nice water effect(someone here posted that). Or you could get creative and with pure silicone and a proper natural looking divider make something using a standard shallow pot... We have a group of various Succulents that appear to live together outside all Summer. In the fall I pull them out with their clay pots which they are buried in and they stay inside all Winter... Also our Terrarium has a host of plants and lichens that appear to be all in the same substrate at different levels but they to are all in separate pots/containers.

Grimmy ;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I repotted my bougie in August into a smaller pot and it didnt miss a best. If done at the right time and given the right aftercare, which in this case wood be warm temps, should e no problem to repot. In the tropics these are like weeds, they can root several feet wide cuttings.

I read their roots are sensitive...yet you have trimmed them back with success...we're headed into fall here in Ohio...maybe something to consider come summer...because we had some down right FRIDGID days a few days back. And with it being shipped...and all. I am afraid to be harsh with it. But something I may considered next year hearing your success with it. How old is your bougie? Mine is still a Shohin...8" tall from the top of the soil.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I read their roots are sensitive...yet you have trimmed them back with success...we're headed into fall here in Ohio...maybe something to consider come summer...because we had some down right FRIDGID days a few days back. And with it being shipped...and all. I am afraid to be harsh with it. But something I may considered next year hearing your success with it. How old is your bougie? Mine is still a Shohin...8" tall from the top of the soil.

I have a thread here, pasted below. I don't seem to have an updated pic yet but it's grown back. I'll update the other thread this week.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?10926-Bougainvillea-in-Memoriam

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's one I've been working on for a while: Juniperus virginiana, Cotonester dammeri, and Pyracantha sp. (added by mistake) :p

Planted on a slate sheet.

How your soil is raised...impresses me...is that hard to accomplish? Seen this photo and was intrigued...simple enough maybe...ordered me a book on Penjing to maybe inspire me. This little showin of mine needs more substance to go with it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Actually I think I understand what you mean and I am hoping this answers you correctly:

Chinese Bonsai differs from its Japanese counterpart in that it is more wild, brighter coloured and more eccentric artisically than the Japanese tradition of thick trunks and simple shapes with muted colours. Penjing also is more likely to have varied wild natural landscapes in minature whereas the Japanese style is usually to have the Bonsai tree alone in a simple container or pot. More literally, bonsai means ‘tree in a pot’ and Penjing means ‘tray scenery’. In Penjing the miniature landscape may use natural or artificial rock, soil or wood. There are 3 recognised styles of Penjing In China :

Tree Penjing (shumu penjing)

Landscape Penjing (shanshui penjing)

Water-and-Land Penjing (shuihan penjing)

All of these styles have some overlap, although some elements are more predominant than others depending on the artist’s direction.

Grimmy ;)

Oh Grimmy...you have my gerbil running fast on his wheel...so going to do a water land penjing! Ordered a book to help me better understand it. Now...to TRY and fall asleep while my brain is running in all sorts of avenues with this.

So appreciate your pointing out the style this is...this is beyond the few I came across before I knew what it was called.

Penjing: The Chinese Art of Bonsai: A Pictorial Exploration of Its History, Aesthetics, Styles and Preservation
by Zhao Qingquan, Rob Kempinski (Foreword by), Han Xuenian (Photographer)

Top Bottom