does anyone see any twin trunk potential in these?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I come across many twin trunks during my walks through the woods, I don't have any twin trunks and they are usually not my first choice, I don't have much knowledge of the style trunks, I know there are many rules of which im not that aware. I would like to get one or two this year. Seems like with angle changes and height adjustments there may be some potential. Just curious if anyone thinks any of these would be decent candidates for a dig. Here a few differnt twin trunk samples. Hawthorne, Hawthorne, hornbeam, pair/apple, honey suckle, honey suckle. Curious to know what people think on these.

E1fpaXR.jpg

haJruGx.jpg
uVUoBeY.jpg
EmyNsVA.jpg
vZUGZmY.jpg
dphvEYT.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'll want to look at these with most of the same considerations you'd place on a single trunk. Does it have movement or interest? Are there branches in good places, or will it be able to bud back low enough to create them?
The first one is ok, as the bark is good and the trunks have some size difference. Good for Mother daughter, Father son... The second one has good interest and great bark. I would pick that one up. The third one is a no go for me. Slingshot trunk and also bad reverse taper. The honeysuckles are a bit too straight. Hope this helps.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm surprised that if they don't appeal to you...why your looking at them. I'm not a fan of formal uprights...so I move on to ones that more appeal to me.
I look at all the trees... and I do the same, have not dug these... I enjoy certain species more than others.. so I am curious to other possible styles for species that I do enjoy,I take photos of many trees for future reflection. not a fan of honeysuckle.. but had some photos of different twin types to maybe get some ideas.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'll want to look at these with most of the same considerations you'd place on a single trunk. Does it have movement or interest? Are there branches in good places, or will it be able to bud back low enough to create them?
The first one is ok, as the bark is good and the trunks have some size difference. Good for Mother daughter, Father son... The second one has good interest and great bark. I would pick that one up. The third one is a no go for me. Slingshot trunk and also bad reverse taper. The honeysuckles are a bit too straight. Hope this helps.

Judy, the 3rd one I thought the same thing, its one of the only hornbeam I've found that's actually growing in full sun.. I want to conduct experiments on it.. I was thinking maybe an angle change could make it work but probably not sling shot hit the nail on the head, i'll just leave that one. another idea im always thinking of is maybe just removing one of the trunks and making it an informal... most likely just a waste of time.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
another idea im always thinking of is maybe just removing one of the trunks and making it an informal...
This could work, but you'd have a HUUUGE scar to heal. You have to look at the base and rest of the structure to see if it's worth the time and effort.

Top Bottom