Does anyone use aquatic soil for substrate?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have aquatic soil in my horsetail pot in the fish tub. It's a clay product. Quite often out of stock but it seems it would be good.
Appx. same size as lava and doesn't dissolve.

Reddish color.

???

Reaction score
Should be as a replacement for akadama. I’ve used ADA soil before which I had at hand. But it’s probably more expensive than bonsai soil so just use if you ain’t going to use it elsewhere.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have aquatic soil in my horsetail pot in the fish tub. It's a clay product. Quite often out of stock but it seems it would be good.
Appx. same size as lava and doesn't dissolve.

Reddish color.

???

Do you mean fish tank gravel?
Regular fish tank gravel is just painted or sometimes not painted rocks.
That would not be appropriate for bonsai as it is just gravel. Gravel does not retain moisture or nutrients and its very heavy which would make moving trees around even more of a chore.

I do know that there is a lava product that is also used for fish tank gravel. This product would be fine as part of a mixture as long as its very close to the same size particles as the rest of the mix.

The mix most professionals use for most trees is a mixture of lava, pumice and akadama. The reason they use a mix is because not one of them alone has the moisture, nutrient retaining attributes that make for the best soil mix for most trees (notice I say "most trees" there are some species, that do better in other soil types or mixtures. Akadama is better at retaining moisture and nutrients than lava so I would disagree that is is a substitute for lava.

There is a referece article about the specific attributes of each of the different soil components done by markyscott
It is well worth reading even if you dont understand all the technical details, youll learn a lot

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's not fish tank gravel. It is aquatic soil. Maybe the reason it is seldom in stock is that I had to look all over to even find a picture.

fishy stuff.JPG

It's rather sharp and never breaks down. I have it in that submerged pot with horsetail (?) and never change it unless I am dividing the plant.
And I haven't done that for 3 years because I can't find any of it around here.

I cleaned the filter yesterday and the little buggers had filled the top of the filter with it. Goldfish like to pick up and spit stuff.
No harm really as it was acting as a very top layer of a filter medium anyhow.

Now COLORED GRAVEL.....oh boy! But only for show display. yuk. ;)

(edited to add that I don't think it would hold ANY water. It would have to have the other mix added.)

Reaction score
Some planted aquarium soils are pretty much like akadama, but generally harder. In fact, akadama can be used as a cheaper alternative. Check ADA Amazonia soil. I’ve used it and it worked great. It’s too expensive though.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok I am not familiar with what "aquatic soil" is.
The stuff pictured looks like it could be a clay based thing but if it is then I dont know how it doesnt get soft and mushy in water.
Or maybe it does and thats what it is supposed to do. I wouldnt be able to recommend it until I learn more about it.
Mike, have you asked what other people that have bonsai in your area use?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s way more expensive than akadama. Not worth the €€€

yea and honestly, there are so many bonsai suppliers in California, soil components should be easily obtainable and some of them fairly cheap cause he is in California

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok I am not familiar with what "aquatic soil" is.
The stuff pictured looks like it could be a clay based thing but if it is then I dont know how it doesnt get soft and mushy in water.
Or maybe it does and thats what it is supposed to do. I wouldnt be able to recommend it until I learn more about it.
Mike, have you asked what other people that have bonsai in your area use?
I don't use it for the trees. I use it for the fish. Or rather the plant that is in with the fish.
I use fish for the trees. It feeds them. The trees, not the fish.

Or something........

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The same company that sold Turface used to package it in smaller packages and sell it as aquatic plant soil. I remember it used to be available at Walmart.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use molar clay and its exactly same color as there, it goes dark brown/brick color when wet

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use molar clay and its exactly same color as there, it goes dark brown/brick color when wet
Just found this via Google:
Moler clay is a reusable and sustainable solution for getting some much-needed aeration and drainage into any soil.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well, here i am with a failed planted tank coz the summer is too damn hot. maybe i could experiment with the (expensive) substrate on something i could probably afford to lose if it goes bad

substrate.jpg

Top Bottom