Does deadwood sap strength?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have this dead and peeled end of a limb on a procumbens.

deadwood.jpg

My question is should I lop it off? I have seen deadwood I like but it never leads to foliage.
Is this limb end keeping flow from the foliage higher on the same branch?
There's another on the tree but the light is too poor to get a pic of it.

The limbs in question are ones that have died off up to the dead part.

??

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The limb is dead. The tree no longer uses any resources on it. The tree has re-directed active growth around the dead tissue.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The limb is dead. The tree no longer uses any resources on it. The tree has re-directed active growth around the dead tissue.

I guess all the indoctrination about foliage on the end of the branches needed to pull strength into the whole limb then does not apply in this case.
Was just curious.

Thanks. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't get what you mean. There is no foliage on the branch, from what I can tell. IF there is, it means the branch isn't dead...Yes, foliage at the end of an otherwise dead-looking branch indicates the tree is still maintaining a pathway to it...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't get what you mean. There is no foliage on the branch, from what I can tell. IF there is, it means the branch isn't dead...Yes, foliage at the end of an otherwise dead-looking branch indicates the tree is still maintaining a pathway to it...
The branch is not dead. The foliage above the yellow circled part is on THAT branch.
So...it's a live branch with a dead long end.

And I do not want to lose that branch above the dead part.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The side-branch you are showing has no foliage at its end by the looks of things. And is dead. And is not affecting whatever else it is connected to. That the main branch is is connected to is alive does not change this.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dude.....what the hell???

You're asking if a jinned branch is taking energy from the tree?
How long have you been doing bonsai???

I mean, not to be a dick or anything, but ....wh...wh...whaaaat?!

Edit:.....or are you just trolling me again?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Dude.....what the hell???

You're asking if a jinned branch is taking energy from the tree?
How long have you been doing bonsai???

I mean, not to be a dick or anything, but ....wh...wh...whaaaat?!

Edit:.....or are you just trolling me again?
So, that is a jin, right? I thought so at first but was confused by his question and had to look again.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
of course it is.

And even if it wasn't. If the wood is dead, it is dead.
Well, he made it sound like there was foliage at the end of the "dead" branch which would make it not dead, so I had to look again. Doesn't help that it's not a great pic that is not in focus....

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It is foliage UP TO the deadwood. My question is trying to figure out if getting rid of the deadwood would be advisable for health of the limb.
While it is a jin, It's not where I usually would put one. I never worry about a jin being at the TOP of a design. (or even side...if there is some likely flow to the end of the branch.)
Here's a couple more bad pix.

Maybe clarify what I am trying to say/write/post.

The first pic is not posted full size. Click to see. The second pic is full size.

limb one.jpg

limb2.jpg

Hope that is better illustration.

:)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Anything green behind (closer to trunk) on branch will be fine without chopping off Jin.
I guess unless the tree is sick and plans on dropping that branch. But you could tell.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You made a comment about juniper foliage needed to draw resources into a juniper branch. That much is true. Before you jinned the end of that branch, the foliage on it was actively drawing water and other resources into the branch. Conversely, the branch was generating energy via photosynthesis, and also generating hormones to tell the tree "more roots needed - more vascular development needed".

If you remove 50% of the foliage on a branch and jin the tip (removing all live layers or bark), you are "weakening" the branch to the extent that suddenly the branch is not drawing up the same amount of water and resources, or generating the same amount of energy or growth hormone. When damage like this happens, the tree will balance and reallocate resources. The growth at the base of the branch might get stronger... or depending on the circumstances you may find that the growth lower down the branch may weaken or die back.

However the bottom line is that once you "kill" part of the tree by pruning, jinning, creating shari, or whatever, that part of the tree is "dead" and plays no further role. The tree will create a border of healing tissue, and will seal off the wound. The deadwood neither draws resources from the tree, nor contributes anything to it.

FWIW - the core of the trunk of a tree is deadwood. It is not living tissue and aside from providing structural support plays no further role in the growth of a tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
age & species dependent though..
Yes. Any time I try to describe something in a couple of paragraphs that others have written books about, I find myself couching all my terms with "in most cases" or "depending on circumstances".

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the fluid, chiefly water with dissolved sugars and mineral salts, that circulates in the vascular system of a plant.
There is no sap in deadwood.
Hence deadwood doesn't sap anything.

gradually weaken or destroy (a person's strength or power).
Yes. Any time I try to describe something in a couple of paragraphs that others have written books about, I find myself couching all my terms with "in most cases" or "depending on circumstances".

a foolish gullible person
c'mon Mike!!

Top Bottom