Does grow lights work for growing seed in seed raising mix ?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Does grow lights work for growing seeds in the ground , or is it just for plants which have risen out of the ground ?

YotaBonBon

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Grow lights imitate the sun, which tells the seed to germinate. This question is a bit loaded, as some seeds require surface sowing, while others want to be sown under the soils surface.
Furthermore, some seeds with want darkness to germinate.
That said, full spectrum grow light will assist in germination and post germination growth. I'm pretty new here, but I'm sure you can find a thread on this.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Temperature is also a factor in germination of seeds of many species.
I light on a seed tray with seeds might help germinate them simply because it also raises the temperature of the soil from being under the light.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Many seedlings have issues when being transferred from grow lights to sun light, which basically nullifies the advantage in time.
I don't know of any species that needs total darkness to germinate. Most, if not all plants don't care about whether it's dark or not.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was applying grow lights to a tray with BRT seeds . Maybe I switch them off and stick them in the sunlight

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From my recent seed experiments and online research, grow lights could actually negatively impact germination. First off every seed has a different heat requirement for germination. Stupid example is carrot seeds, their optimal germination temperature is 29 degrees celcius, but the actual plant growth slows down from 27 degrees. So you will need to measure soil temperature adjusted by the light at different increments and location in the soil to insure uniform temperature distribution. And after germination, will need to adjust lights accordingly to the optimal temperature for the seedlings, but due to possible inconsistent heating, germination rate could vary over and above normal variations. Grow lights aren't really made for heating up an area, although it will significantly raise the temperature. Basically it's inefficient and secondly will provide inconsistent heating. You're better off getting a heat mat which is better suited for the job.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always thought they had some kind of 'gravity sensor'
This is generally true but it is it is good to place the seeds (especially larger ones) in a position where the emerging radical isn't forced to grow out of the soil or is forced to grow around the seed to bury itself in the soil. I have lost a few emerging seeds because of this.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I always thought they had some kind of 'gravity sensor'

Hehe!

Most seeds grow instinctively up... They all do "Know" what way.

What I meant is, some seeds NEED light for germination, papaver, potentilla and alder off the top of my head.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hehe!

Most seeds grow instinctively up... They all do "Know" what way.

What I meant is, some seeds NEED light for germination, papaver, potentilla and alder off the top of my head.
There is a collection of microscopic silicium pebbles inside every root, much like a bladder stone.
They tell the root which way is down, because the pebbles sink.
Much like bladder and kidney stones pass faster when people go in roller coaster rides, gravity and centrifugal forces yeah!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I forgot to add that the plants needing light for germination have terrible seeds, containing almost no starches. That's why they need to photosynthesise from the moment they germinate.
Or sugar. Or mycelium feeding it sugars, like in orchids.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is a collection of microscopic silicium pebbles inside every root, much like a bladder stone.
They tell the root which way is down, because the pebbles sink.
Much like bladder and kidney stones pass faster when people go in roller coaster rides, gravity and centrifugal forces yeah!

Not quite. There are organelles called statoliths, that are denser than the rest of the cell. And these sink down. And that tells the plant which way is up or down according to gravity.
But these are dense because of starch. not silica.

Many seeds are best off surface sown. So small seeds with little energy/starch, they do need light faster. So don't bury them.
Some of these seeds indeed need light for them to germinate at all.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not quite. There are organelles called statoliths, that are denser than the rest of the cell. And these sink down. And that tells the plant which way is up or down according to gravity.
But these are dense because of starch. not silica.

Many seeds are best off surface sown. So small seeds with little energy/starch, they do need light faster. So don't bury them.
Some of these seeds indeed need light for them to germinate at all.
You're right. I think I might have seen a study where people replaced these starch statolith pellets with silicium pellets in the statocytes to achieve a stronger effect.
Can't find the study anymore though, but I remember I was deep diving into microscopic videography back then. Could have been part of one of those Nikon Small World contests.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Noticed the only thing growing with the grow light is small bit of algae on the surface of the seed raising mix . I've transferred small glasshouse into full sunlight hoping things will germinate

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Noticed the only thing growing with the grow light is small bit of algae on the surface of the seed raising mix . I've transferred small glasshouse into full sunlight hoping things will germinate
🤞

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You're right. I think I might have seen a study where people replaced these starch statolith pellets with silicium pellets in the statocytes to achieve a stronger effect.
Can't find the study anymore though, but I remember I was deep diving into microscopic videography back then. Could have been part of one of those Nikon Small World contests.
Dude!!!!

Are you saying they micro-wire probed plant tissue!!!

I must see this!!

Top Bottom