Does size matter?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No we are not air layering the top of this 30 foot cherry off :) We decided to airlayer one of its branches that had a very large extremely tapered branch. This was done as a wonder if I can do it moments after we had airlayerd about 50 American elm branches. So at my wife's urging I decided to post for some giggles. Should be interesting to see if it takes as part of the band is actually on the tree to preserve as much of the branch base as possible.

Attachments

• jsw_p1060134.jpg
    jsw_p1060134.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom, it looks like you've kept the top closed tight. How are you ensuring the moss stays damp? On an air layer that big, a hypodermic needle would be less than efficient! Perhaps a turkey baster?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps a turkey baster
Good idea Chris! I was thinking more along the lines of a bilge pump. ;)

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... reminda me of something budding of an offspring or maybe a tree growing on a tree. Interesting , can't wait to see what happens.

BTW , maybe an IV setup to constantly deliver water ?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We decided to airlayer one of its branches that had a very large extremely tapered branch.

I love projects like this. Good luck to you on this one. I was wonedering though, could you explain where the extremely tapering branch is?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not a great picture. Should of taken on before hand. As I said it was a spur of the moment thing. The base of the branch where I hope it will layer is about 11 inches an the it twists and curves like a mersham pipe. and with in 2 inches from the base it finally reduces to the small branch (the one all the way in the rear behind the big fork) that is about an inch an three quarters.

Anyway thanks for the encouragement Al :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Was on my way out with the camera to do some photos of torch carving and stopped by the cherry. Much to my pleasure, I found about a dozen pencil lead sized roots running the bag surface. Not bad for a 3 week old air layer that I didn't really think would make it. So I snapped some shots to share for those propagators that cruise the forum. The pictures aren't great as there are three layers of plastic and a ton of moisture. BTW: to answer a question from a different thread ..... yes, some sphagnum moss comes alive when hydrated.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bravo! I can't wait to see a pic of it removed from the tree.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tom I was reading thru and thinking that most fruits seem to root really well, but I think you already have figured that out. Like to see that one down the road. Cherry would be neat too, not a huge worry about fruit size.

luft

Seed
Reaction score
Any update? I'm curious of the details. How long did you leave it on for the roots to develop? Is it still on? I've been ambitious in air layering a large branch on a pomegranate I have in my yard and I'm trying to get an idea of what to aim for here.

ptjeff

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom,

It's been about a year since you posted this. Any success?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was removed from the tree in September, and potted. It stayed in a protected area over winter and popped buds on cue this spring...seems to be happy

Below is a picture of it after it was separated last September

Attachments

• jsw_imgp1468.jpg
    jsw_imgp1468.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 162
  • jsw_imgp1469.jpg
    jsw_imgp1469.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tom your such a tease :p Can we see a pic of this merchum trunk potted up with it's new spring coat?

Pretty, pretty, I mean real pretty please ;)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tease MOI? ........ Don't have a present picture but will snap one if I don't melt in this heat and humidity

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too it looks like it has a fantastic potential nebari.

Tom

kenbone

Seed
Reaction score
I am new to the art of bonsai and I am fascinated by it. I am planning on air-layering a similar sized fig tree. Is it true that I should start the air-layer on a large branch in mid summer? Or would it be a smart idea to wait until spring? Does the time of year that you cut the air layer off of the tree make a difference in the success rate of the new tree? Or does it depend more on the quality of the roots. What month did you cut the air layer of off your tree? Any information that you could provide would help me a lot.

Top Bottom