Does this Black Pine have needle cast?

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I bought an “Ondae” cultivar Japanese Black Pine in February and repotted it in March. It seemed to be doing well, but over the summer, I have found what seems to be needle cast on its needles. Tips of some needles are turning brown at the tips and towards the ends, some needles are turning yellow after the tips of the needles turn brown and fall off (these have bugs on them that you can see if you look closely), and some needles have yellow spots and bands on them. Up until I saw the bugs, I was planning to treat the fungus with Bonide Copper Fungicide, Daconil, and Bonide Infuse. Now I am wondering if it is actually a insect problem I need to be treating for with insecticide. What do you all think this is? I live in Denver CO by the way. Here are pictures:IMG_1842.jpg IMG_1845.jpg IMG_1846.jpg IMG_1847.jpg IMG_1842.jpg IMG_1845.jpg IMG_1846.jpg IMG_1847.jpg

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Makes sense that they would be aphids because in this article - https://bonsaitonight.com/2014/11/25/pest-of-the-week-aphid/, it says aphids feed on weak foliage of pines. I also found a few ladybugs on the tree which makes sense, since they feed on aphids. Are there any insecticides that would kill off aphids, or should they be removed as they are found?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry....Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Are those aphids?

I see them once in a while, to the same detriment, but I figured they were something else....

Sorce
They are, and if you need confirmation, you too can go to Jonas’ site.:rolleyes:
Sometimes when I pull an out-of-place yellow needle, a few will be clinging to it. Never an infestation, just a nuisance.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you see ants you know you have aphids.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have seen ants in the foliage of Mugos but no green aphids, to be frank I am not sure what they are going after, still trying to figure that one out, but they are there none the less. The last couple of years ants have been associated with a lot of problems for me.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen ants in the foliage of Mugos but no green aphids, to be frank I am not sure what they are going after, still trying to figure that one out, but they are there none the less. The last couple of years ants have been associated with a lot of problems for me.
I added D.E to the surface of the soil on the trees I got from you because I saw ants. They arent there anymore.
I truly believe this is the me in reason I don't have many insect issues.
To a lesser degree I also believe hitting the trees with the 3 in 1 Bayer systemic is the other factor.
I use it in the spring once the trees can take it up with foliage and once just before fall.
I have one Scots with needle cast. Not sure why. Not worried.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Take a close look at the base of the needles and look for movement. There could be some quick little scurrying critters moving in and around the needles that look something like what you can see in the JBP photo on this thread. The last I knew aphids are not quick to move and I don't know what I am dealing with but the needles turn yellow. I am thinking them to possibly be the crawler phase of scale but somehow this does not seem right.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a close look at the base of the needles and look for movement. There could be some quick little scurrying critters moving in and around the needles that look something like what you can see in the JBP photo on this thread. The last I knew aphids are not quick to move and I don't know what I am dealing with but the needles turn yellow. I am thinking them to possibly be the crawler phase of scale but somehow this does not seem right.
Will do.
The affected tree is one I've had. The ones I got from you are fine. No bugs anymore after the floor dry added to the surface of the soil. I didn't spray those trees either.
As for the one in question,it's sitting far from the rest of the trees. The deep freeze is coming soon and that usually takes care of most pests. Apparently 20 below is too much for bugs and fungus.

Top Bottom