Does this look like a nutrient deficiency or fungal problem?

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is my first year with this European Hornbeam. I routinely treat the tree with Cleary's 3336F and I live in North Carolina zone 7b. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20221017_162046245_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221017_162046245_HDR.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20221017_161949415_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221017_161949415_HDR.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 45

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
When I see burnt leaf margins like that I assume dehydration first.
Note that dehydration can also be caused by too much water. If root tips rot the trees cannot take up water and dehydrate even though the soil is saturated. Saline water can do the same thing.
Interesting that it has occurred on older leaves but newer leaves are not affected. When did the brown appear?
Some background like how much fertilizer and how often, soil type, watering, etc may suggest some possible answers.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Agree, this tree appears to have dried out. This time of year around here, it can be dry and the sun is still hot, yet lower in the sky. I find that trees that were in the shade often get hot sun In the afternoons…tough combo for trees like hornbeam and beech. Keep watering, it will be fine.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks like the result of sunscald. Probably too much sun over the summer. Damage done to leaves over the summer can show up in the fall.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I see burnt leaf margins like that I assume dehydration first.
Note that dehydration can also be caused by too much water. If root tips rot the trees cannot take up water and dehydrate even though the soil is saturated. Saline water can do the same thing.
Interesting that it has occurred on older leaves but newer leaves are not affected. When did the brown appear?
Some background like how much fertilizer and how often, soil type, watering, etc may suggest some possible answers.
I bought this tree at the beginning of spring from the BLC. The tree is potted in a 2-1-1 mix and is moderately fertilized with Bio-Gold and a monthly dose of liquid fish and kelp. The tree spent the summer under a 35% shade cloth. Over watering is definitely a possibility. I recently started paying attention to water PH (I use city water). The pH of the water reads anywhere between 8-10 before I add a little citric acid to bring water pH to 6-7. Maybe me fixing water pH is why the new growth looks healthy. I appreciate everyone who commented on this. P.S...... Does anyone know where I can find Stewartia Monodelpha stock?

Last edited:

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought this tree at the beginning of spring from the BLC. The tree is potted in a 2-1-1 mix and is moderately fertilized with Bio-Gold and a monthly dose of liquid fish and kelp. The tree spent the summer under a 35% shade cloth. Over watering is definitely a possibility. I recently started paying attention to water PH (I use city water). The pH of the water reads anywhere between 8-10 before I add a little citric acid to bring water pH to 6-7. Maybe me fixing water pH is why the new growth looks healthy. I appreciate everyone who commented on this. P.S...... Does anyone know where I can find Stewartia Monodelpha stock?

Top Bottom