Does this oak have a future.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can anyone identify what's going on with this Shumard oak, I bought it at home depot at the end of last summer and the trunk was showing signs of damage or disease. At the time it was cheap and I wanted some oaks to develop into pre bonsai, I was going to eventually chop it below the damage so no biggie but now I just want to plant it for a wildlife tree to feed the squirrels and deer. Its growing like crazy, should I just plant it and see what happens or is there some kind of medical attention I should give it first.

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 153
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 136
  • oak 3.jpg
    oak 3.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 146

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hard to say whether the swelling is due to mechanical damage or if something more serious like a caner is in the trunk. I would cut well below the swelling and trash the top.
Agree. I would chop this oak well below the swelling.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Makes sense, I guess I'll wait till next spring as long as it doesn't get too worse.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I decided to give it a nice new home in the ground as a wildlife tree, its making its owd dicisions now. It picked itself a new leader and the weird deseased looking part didn't come back. I'ts leaves are way too big to be a bonsai.

Top Bottom