EIJITSU ROSE

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What a beautiful tree - thanks for sharing it with us, Sergio!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's interesting - what happens? Do hips form at all?
I had the experience this year of the hips forming, but then the stems yellowing and the fruit dropping off. It's been suggested to me that it might have been due to a nutrient deficiency, and to try using a potash fertiliser next spring.

The first year I had it none formed. The second one did. Now waiting to see what happens this year. Lots more flowering now so we shall see. I am trying to hand pollinate them also. I have wild roses all around me and they produce hips all the time but I don't think they last long as it is food for birds and other animals.

Thanks for the info Tom. Perhaps I will experiment with potash and see what results I get. I think rose hips are even more beautiful than the flowers themselves.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny. This looks to me like it could be a "Cherokee Rose" which is an invasive plant in the U.S.. It's also the state flower of Georgia. I know the species is used in Japan for bonsai. Kyuzo Mirata has a passage on the species in his "Four Season of Bonsai" book circa 1991. I used to have a giant collected Cherokee rose, the trunk was a big around as my calf and two feet tall. It was cut off of a telephone pole support cable somewhere near Fredericksburg, Va. back in the 90's. It had "rambled" 50 feet up the wire and across the telephone lines above. Had been there about 80 years or so, apparently. I loved that thing, but it was a pain--cat like claws snagged anyone and anything that brushed against it. and they drew blood...It grew like a weed, an evil, clawed weed...as in "Feed me Seymour" kind of growth...I finally had to "release it back into the wild" as the trunk had a very bad case of interior rot, which gallons of wood hardener had masked over the years. BTW roses are designated by their growth habits "ramblers" being one, which indicates a more vinelike growth pattern.

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any updates on this beautiful rose from the past year? I’ve always had a sweet spot for roses since my granny has grown hybrids as well as our native Alberta rose (Rosa acicularis) for decades.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@MACH5 , can you share some pruning timing and tips for roses like this?

I've only played with a couple mame multiflora roses (that were both destroyed by voles :( ), but I was never sure when to prune for ramification.

There are a couple larger trunks I plan to collect in the coming years, so trying to get my notes in order.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Funny. This looks to me like it could be a "Cherokee Rose" which is an invasive plant in the U.S.. It's also the state flower of Georgia. I know the species is used in Japan for bonsai. Kyuzo Mirata has a passage on the species in his "Four Season of Bonsai" book circa 1991. I used to have a giant collected Cherokee rose, the trunk was a big around as my calf and two feet tall. It was cut off of a telephone pole support cable somewhere near Fredericksburg, Va. back in the 90's. It had "rambled" 50 feet up the wire and across the telephone lines above. Had been there about 80 years or so, apparently. I loved that thing, but it was a pain--cat like claws snagged anyone and anything that brushed against it. and they drew blood...It grew like a weed, an evil, clawed weed...as in "Feed me Seymour" kind of growth...I finally had to "release it back into the wild" as the trunk had a very bad case of interior rot, which gallons of wood hardener had masked over the years. BTW roses are designated by their growth habits "ramblers" being one, which indicates a more vinelike growth pattern.
Mach5's rose is, I am almost certain, a selection of Rosa wichuraiana, possibly 'Poteriifolia', or a hybrid seedling selection thereof, but that species often has dwarf and thornless variants. (It is the main source of miniaturism in Ralph Moore's breeding line, which gave most of the miniatures grown in the US.)

While the flowers are very similar to multiflora, this is because both species are members of the section Synstylae- with a "shared style", the statems and pistils emerging from the same point, with a fleshy ring around the base. However, all varieties of multiflora have deeply fringed stipules, and rough leaves, while wichuraiana has entire stipules and glossy leaves. Incidentally, multiflora is very closely related to wichuraiana. The other sources for miniaturism were multiflora 'polyantha', and chinensis minima. Multiflora is the nicest plant of the two, but it is invasive and susceptible to rose rosette disease. My own dwarf chinensis, while very cute, has yet to produce any woody girth.

Top Bottom