EIJITSU ROSE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice addition. I would love to find a rose with a decent trunk and single white or pink/red flowers (plus hips would be nice). We have some that almost fit the bill growing
wild on our property but they have horrible thorns. This one almost looks thornless? Or did they prune off the thorns?

BTW, nice comments about you near the end of the latest Mirai podcast (the one about "The Trophy"). Apparently Ryan is a fan of your work with deciduous trees.

Thanks Chris! This one does have thorns. They are small and fine but they are there. I don't bother cutting them off since well... I have a life. Instead I opt to spend a full day partially defoliating my sharp's maple . See I told you I have a life! :eek::oops:

I was not aware of the Ryan/Mirai "Trophy" podcast . Do you have a link? Or is this on Mirai Live?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's gorgeous, but it isn't Rosa banksiae. That species has different flower size, shape, color, and bloom time. Rose identification is arcane since there has been selection and hybridization for probably a thousand years. However R. banksiae is one of the few non-hybrids, and it retains the flower characteristics of its wild ancestors.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Thank you for the correction!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have 4 or so miniature hybrid roses in various stages of growth. They all are too young to produce ''wood'' yet. Most miniature roses sold are rooted cuttings, growing on their own roots. Most garden centers selling the larger rose types, hybrid teas, floribunda, climbing roses are grafted onto one understock or another. The understock is usually a wild type rose that blooms only once per year, late spring.

When buying a rose for bonsai there are a handful of nurseries, usually mail order only that sell the other types as own root roses. These are better for bonsai.

Shrub type roses more often than not are on their own roots.

Best types of roses for bonsai are probably the miniatures, especially for kusamono, the floribundas, and the shrub rose types. Pay attention to comments about disease resistance. Some hybrid teas in particular are very prone to leaf diseases, powdery mildew can be lethal. Black leaf spot is another big issue. The shrub types tend to be more resistant.

Depending what you want, be sure to note whether the rose is continuous, repeat or once blooming. The species types tend to bloom only once per year. Also note fragrance. To my mind, a rose that does not smell like a rose is not worth growing.

View attachment 232527

Thank you Leo! I am aware of the propensity for roses to get fungus. I have done preventative applications throughout the year and seemed to work well thus far.

BTW, I also understand that they resent being wired. I wired one branch to correct it's direction but that was it. I have kept it to a clip and grow approach.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! I collected a little wild rose this year so tips like this are really useful.

You're very welcomed. I took cuttings last year and they were quite easy to root. Good luck with yours!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love roses as bonsai when done well. This one is very nice and interesting.

The flower reminds me wild roses growing here. Flowers are this simple, colours vary from white to pink... Dog rose or Rosa canina.

Indeed it looks to be a rosa canina! Thank you!!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That is seriously awesome, I didn't know that was even possible with a rose. Going to have to play around with a couple, whenever spring decides to show up.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is seriously awesome, I didn't know that was even possible with a rose. Going to have to play around with a couple, whenever spring decides to show up.

Carol, they do make wonderful bonsai. I saw one exhibited at the 2017 US Shohin Nationals that was beautiful! I have also seen them used in rock plantings etc. A wonderful additional element not to be dismissed are the rose hips. They are small, scarlet red oval shaped fruits that add great interest in winter. Unfortunately, I did not get any last year. I plan on using hand pollination this year and see.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Really nice. Photos do it justice. I saw a very cool small rose at Mirai a while back. Not sure if it was this one. The only one there.

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
As someone wrote, naming roses can be "arcane": Rosa canina is very common in Europe, but is not native to Japan.

But it's hard to name. For instance I have this cutting from a friend. The original plant was also a cutting given to her by John Pitt, the British potter. It has tiny leaves. Mine hasn't flowered yet, but my friend's bears simple, white flowers.

rosa-nonid_191124b.jpg

rosa-nonid_191124a.jpg

My friend's specimen in 2007. It was less tha 20 cm tall and was displayed in a mini-tokonoma:

expo2007_102.jpg

expo2007_104.jpg

... but we still don't know the real name.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
nice rose tree. Try it in FLA I am still trying to figure out my rose's dormant period. It defoliated a couple months ago after a period of heavy rain and I thought it was a goner but it flushed right back out and bloomed again. Now we are on the temperature rollercoaster so still trying to figure it out here.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice rose tree. Try it in FLA I am still trying to figure out my rose's dormant period. It defoliated a couple months ago after a period of heavy rain and I thought it was a goner but it flushed right back out and bloomed again. Now we are on the temperature rollercoaster so still trying to figure it out here.
They seem like they have the hardest time during their flowering period but they are pretty tough

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As someone wrote, naming roses can be "arcane": Rosa canina is very common in Europe, but is not native to Japan.

But it's hard to name. For instance I have this cutting from a friend. The original plant was also a cutting given to her by John Pitt, the British potter. It has tiny leaves. Mine hasn't flowered yet, but my friend's bears simple, white flowers.

View attachment 272089

View attachment 272088

My friend's specimen in 2007. It was less tha 20 cm tall and was displayed in a mini-tokonoma:

View attachment 272090

View attachment 272091

... but we still don't know the real name.

Thanks @AlainK. Some conflicting info. Ryan had it labeled as Rosa banksiae and at some point imported from Japan. However, when comparing the flowers it looks just like a dog rose but I am no rose expert... I just play one on TV :p Did a dog rose end up in Japan 60+ years ago and someone grew this tree? I suppose possible?

Rose experts please chime in! What do you think this may be? Was it originally mislabeled? Or do I need to call on @sorce to change the title... again! o_O

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice. I dont know why rose bonsai arent more popular. They develop well and are a lot of fun. Thia tree ia really full of character.

I agree! Even as young plants they add variety to the garden and are fun. I know in Europe I have seen them incorporated in rock plantings, etc. They don't seem to be as popular in Japan although I could be mistaken. Are they popular in Korea?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That bend is everything. Love the presentation in the pot too, very Dan Robinsinesque.

Top Bottom