EIJITSU ROSE

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@MACH5 I have 4 roses that have been in the ground for a couple of decades according to the previous owner of my property. I want to take them out and start them on the road to becoming bonsai. I have 2 questions about this. Should this be done during the winter months while they are dormant? Can I bare root them when they are harvested or should I leave the native soil on for a year or two? These haven’t been trimmed in years and haven’t produced a flower since I moved in.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That bend is everything. Love the presentation in the pot too, very Dan Robinsinesque.

Never thought about it but true! As much as I like to work and refine my branch movements, there are moments that you just have to lay off. If you look closely, I have wired two branches but for the most part I let this one be.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 I have 4 roses that have been in the ground for a couple of decades according to the previous owner of my property. I want to take them out and start them on the road to becoming bonsai. I have 2 questions about this. Should this be done during the winter months while they are dormant? Can I bare root them when they are harvested or should I leave the native soil on for a year or two? These haven’t been trimmed in years and haven’t produced a flower since I moved in.

Again, not a rose expert but I would say yes they can be bare rooted but my sense is to wait until closer to springtime right before bud brake.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree! Even as young plants they add variety to the garden and are fun. I know in Europe I have seen them incorporated in rock plantings, etc. They don't seem to be as popular in Japan although I could be mistaken. Are they popular in Korea?
Native species are very popular and grow fast and flower after just 2 years. So pretty fun for newbies and long timers alike

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Did a dog rose end up in Japan 60+ years ago and someone grew this tree? I suppose possible?

Yes, it could well be: Rosa canina I read is sometimes used to graft rose cultivars. It might have been imported and perhaps this is from a rootstock.

Anyway, who cares much about the real name? ;) Even Moses supposes his toes are roses - but Moses supposes erroneously! 😄

And BTW, it's a very impressive little rose 👍

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MACH5 you can always edit the tagline yourself, that's what I do on my questioned or questionables!

@Silentrunning I dug one awhile back aside one I went to dig, barerooted to all hell and it flowered the next year, growing like mad!
Had another gifted to me, just a chunk of something, no more, grew fungus leaves in small bunches for 2 years then threw a 3ft shoot finally this year.

They can take hell! Do it any kinda right and your golden!

Sorce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I’ve solved the mystery, Sergio. The flower looks like a wild-type, so I just searched ‘Japanese wild rose’ on Wikipedia and it directed me to Rosa multiflora, one of whose common names is Rambler Rose. That jogged my memory, as that is what Ryan called your rose when it was at Mirai. Among many other common names, it is also called Ejitsu Rose.
D502DE3A-CBC4-4AEB-9637-AD0EB5B83D2E.jpeg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I’ve solved the mystery, Sergio. The flower looks like a wild-type, so I just searched ‘Japanese wild rose’ on Wikipedia and it directed me to Rosa multiflora, one of whose common names is Rambler Rose. That jogged my memory, as that is what Ryan called your rose when it was at Mirai. Among many other common names, it is also called Ejitsu Rose.
View attachment 272113

Well is good to have friends in high places! Thank you. That may solve the mystery... yet again! 😂 Ryan did have it also labeled as a rambling rose although I think that may be more of a generic term for anything the refers to a climbing type of rose? In any case makes sense as Ryan did say it was a Japanese import. It seemed unlikely to me that a rose (dog rose in this case) that's not native to Japan would have ended up there in any case.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well is good to have friends in high places! Thank you. That may solve the mystery... yet again! 😂 Ryan did have it also labeled as a rambling rose although I think that may be more of a generic term for anything the refers to a climbing type of rose? In any case makes sense as Ryan did say it was a Japanese import. It seemed unlikely to me that a rose (dog rose in this case) that's not native to Japan would have ended up there in any case.
Rosa multiflora is native here and common as bonsai. 272314

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is another link but I cant find it. There is a master who specializes in roses and has some insanely good trees.....need to try and remember his name.

electronfusion

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Late spring of 2019 I acquired two very old landscape roses that were quite unceremoniously bare rooted (shoved right out of the dirt with a forklift). Here (zone 9b) roses are basically evergreen, but in addition to that they were growing more vigorously at the time than they would have in the winter. Both survived and are doing quite well. All their branches at the time extended 3 to 4 feet before their first leaf, so I completely removed all of them. They spent about 2 months showing no signs of life, then started pushing suckers from the base (I believe the rambling ones are basally dominant), and later from the upper areas. So they can definitely handle a bare-root treatment at any time. But during dormancy is probably best.

Top Bottom