Dogwood Air layer Help

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have an old flowering dogwood in the backyard that I appreciate every morning with my coffee. It's covered in lichen, but has some great natural branch ramification. I see a bunch of interesting air layer possibilities and have questions. I'm not sure how old the tree, but it's old. Does that matter? Does the lichen affect the air layer? I assume the answer is yes, but can I take air layers from higher up in the tree? Can I air layer some of the 5+ inch diameter branches by simply leaving it on longer? And finally, can I air layer and then lop off the branches or do I need to leave some foliage? There are some branches that are thick and have good movement, but the next branch with foliage is a few feet away.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I honestly don't think it will layer at all. You can't root them from cuttings so that should provide a clue.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally once collected naturally layered branch from native Dogwood. Matter is mostly size of branch. Smaller layers better most cases☺️.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost any plant can form a natural layer which in most instances takes several years.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should be obvious, but for those who can't or won't understand, there are many deciduous trees that will not air layer but almost none that won't naturally form layers in the ground after several years.

Top Bottom