Dogwood

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice. Now that it's out of leaf, there are a few things that I would do to it. What are your plans? Not that you've asked, but the one straight trunk in the canopy right, bothers me a bit. I assume you'll wire/prune to fix the upper canopy congestion. Lovely though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At noon? Or 2 o'clock,?

The 2 o'clock one bothers me.

But I dont care!

Love it!

Sorce

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am curious about the leaves on dogwood. Do you defoliate these? Do the leaves reduce in size well with these sorts of techniques? There are a ton of these around my area that I'd love to dig up but heard that the leaves are difficult to reduce to an appropriate size on smaller bonsai.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
"And when his majesty Prince Charles..." -Maros

He's not quite there yet. Just plain old H.R.H.,Prince of Wales. Must p... him off. He's been waiting a very long time. Mommy just might outlive him. By the way, splendid tree!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice. Now that it's out of leaf, there are a few things that I would do to it. What are your plans? Not that you've asked, but the one straight trunk in the canopy right, bothers me a bit. I assume you'll wire/prune to fix the upper canopy congestion. Lovely though.
Main goal for next season is repoting the tree. By doing this I try to remove as much as possible of the remaining old thick roots. This is yamadori and therefore its roots structure is far from ideal, and it does not allow me to pot it into shallower pot now. After doing this in spring I will see what else will be done. There is hollow space in the crown (on last picture left side towards back), it is part of the crown which is new and grown since in my possession. So this is major issue number two.
Regarding straight parts f the trunks - they are all original old trunks. Dense wood, slowly grown in harsh conditions so no way of bending those. I have to live with this structure or cut back and regrow.

At noon? Or 2 o'clock,?

The 2 o'clock one bothers me.

But I dont care!

Love it!

Sorce
Thanks Sorce

I am curious about the leaves on dogwood. Do you defoliate these? Do the leaves reduce in size well with these sorts of techniques? There are a ton of these around my area that I'd love to dig up but heard that the leaves are difficult to reduce to an appropriate size on smaller bonsai.
I partly defoliate it. Never done total defoliation though. I think leaves tend to be smaller if tree is contained in smaller pot, and naturally more ramified structure is built over time then smaller leaves are on tree.

"And when his majesty Prince Charles..." -Maros

He's not quite there yet. Just plain old H.R.H.,Prince of Wales. Must p... him off. He's been waiting a very long time. Mommy just might outlive him. By the way, splendid tree!
Sorry for my mistake with titles. :) Thanks

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Tree was repotted today and some thick roots were removed according to plan. Unfortunately large rock embedded between roots prevented to do more and honestly I did not dare to remove more roots now. So we have early spring and first flowers.

DSC_4405.JPG

DSC_4407.JPG

DSC_4408.JPG

DSC_4406.JPG

DSC_4382.JPG

DSC_4379.JPG

DSC_4354.JPG

DSC_4357.JPG

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Lovely
I like that you continue to post updates, thank you very much.

The root reduction is working, slowly. Nice.
Next repotting maybe next spring, so tree will be in more shallow position.

Bonsai is slow hobby

Thanks for compliment

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maros, since the first spot of this cornus I am looking forward to each spring to see it in its yellow fancy dress.

Being a sort of a guy who quite often push a stick into the hornet nest I could not resist to ask: Have you ever consider to "dilute" the number of flower buds? Visually I like the two low branches on the right better than the middle top section.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice!
I've never seen a Dogwood with flowers like that....I'm used to the cornus florida and cornus kousa...
This one is really cool though, I dig the yellow bloom clusters.
Great progression thread.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Maros, since the first spot of this cornus I am looking forward to each spring to see it in its yellow fancy dress.

Being a sort of a guy who quite often push a stick into the hornet nest I could not resist to ask: Have you ever consider to "dilute" the number of flower buds? Visually I like the two low branches on the right better than the middle top section.

Last year I cut vast majority of the flowers after spring. So I had just a few fruits.

But I never thought of removing flower buds.

I'm in stage where I think more flowers is better.

Very lovely in her dress. Thank you for posting this.

Thanks Judy.
Very nice!
I've never seen a Dogwood with flowers like that....I'm used to the cornus florida and cornus kousa...
This one is really cool though, I dig the yellow bloom clusters.
Great progression thread.
Thanks mate

Top Bottom