Dogwood

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Maros, since the first spot of this cornus I am looking forward to each spring to see it in its yellow fancy dress.

Being a sort of a guy who quite often push a stick into the hornet nest I could not resist to ask: Have you ever consider to "dilute" the number of flower buds? Visually I like the two low branches on the right better than the middle top section.
One more thing Ralf, tree is not that dense, as it seems on picture. Generally I try to style my trees to look from all sides, it could result in rather crowded parts of the picture, since it is hard to capture the depth of the composition.
I was looking for helicopter" picture of the tree, I have some from 2015. Here you can see that crown is rather sparse, do not seems to be too dense. Hope it helps a bit.
DSC_7129.JPG

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maros, I am as happy with the tree as you are. My comment is just PERSONAL view on the visual aspect of the display. I think that the tree could look better with less blossoms on some sections. It doesn't have any relation with the branch density.

Well, I should feel sorry for your extra work to share the top view. BUT to be honest - I am very happy to see it from this angle. It looks pretty good.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Despite several dozen flowers were removed in spring I sill left few to produce fruits as every season. Not enough to make huge impression though. Many flower buds are already established, so tree will be hopefully message of the Spring as always in my garden.
DSC_5393.JPG

DSC_5410.JPG

DSC_5426.JPG

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Last week it looked like spring is here. Well, weather forecast this week shows quite opposite and for the large parts of our country, we are expecting unusually frosty time for the upcoming week. Nevertheless, my "Vesna" have different opinions on when to start flowering. Since few days flower buds start opening.
So, I decided last weekend it was time to do some reporting. I got a couple of new pots recently and one of them, from Tomas Snovicky I used for this dogwood. This is yamadori tree collected from wild some time before 2009 (not by myself, so I do not have the complete track of its origin). It was collected from stony grounds and a couple of stones were embedded between massive anchor roots still. I repotted it a couple of times in last decade but took a lot of caution not to kill the tree and I managed to do only minor structural reductions of big roots. Still, step by step. The health of the plant has the highest priority. Now I managed to remove a considerable amount of old thick roots which prevented me from potting it into more desirable position and into the shallower pot before. So Roots are gone, one and half of the stones are gone. One stone completely, the second one is still part of the composition and I think it will stay there. I just hit the last stone with a hammer from underneath and it broke down into two pieces. The tree is now sitting in its new pot in slightly tilted position to the right on the front picture. It is much lighter as well due to removed rocks, few handfuls of old soil removed. And finally, I used lighter particles in the substrate composition. I'm testing pumice, it is lighter and has nice colours. Hopefully, the tree will have all flowers open and I hope to take decent pictures in next couple of days.

DSC_7033-001.jpg

DSC_7035-001.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new angle and the pot, but it seems like it could be lower in the pot. Of course I imagine that you are working your way to that slowly. Will love to see the flowering photos!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the new angle and the pot, but it seems like it could be lower in the pot. Of course I imagine that you are working your way to that slowly. Will love to see the flowering photos!
Thanks, Judy.
Honestly, I thought it will sit deeper in the pot as well. Fact is I was doing it in a hurry, late at night with artificial light only, not really time to play with position too much. And the amount of the roots removed was stressful enough, plus stress from pulling out stones as well. But definitely, I would plant it lower next time, in two years or so.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It is, yes....I just was unaware of this tree and have never seen one, to my knowledge.
Some nice specimens in the Chicago Botanic Garden and probably elsewhere. This is the firs tree to be called Dogwood. It is also called Cornelian cherry or European Cornel, and is where the name Cornell comes from. Its fruits are edible, unlike the North American Flowering Dogwood.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Some nice specimens in the Chicago Botanic Garden and probably elsewhere. This is the firs tree to be called Dogwood. It is also called Cornelian cherry or European Cornel, and is where the name Cornell comes from. Its fruits are edible, unlike the North American Flowering Dogwood.
In German they call it Kornelkirsche

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks, Potawatomi :) pictures could have been better but I'm still learning.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely tree, it's so fun to watch the yearly updates, and I love its new pot as well :)

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Lovely tree, it's so fun to watch the yearly updates, and I love its new pot as well :)
Thanks, Ingvill. Then wait a few weeks for the pictures of the tree with ripe fruits, even if this year I left only tiny fraction after flowering. ;)

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree! But where did the moss go?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree! But where did the moss go?

To keep moss on my trees I have to protect it from birds throughout the season. I kept its surface under the ordinary mesh (used in construction applications). But during my summer holidays I use simple automatic watering system using the lawn watering gardena stuff wetting the trees from the top. I was afraid too much of the water will be diverted by mesh away from the moss surface. So I put all meshes down for the holiday period. When I came back, birds turned most of the moss surfaces into pigs breakfast. ?

Top Bottom