Dogwood

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Our cornuses are very tolerant species. They are vigorous growers. When new growth hardens it's hard to bend. If you want to introduce some movement into the branches you have to start early.
Did you do any selective pruning early on or found it best to let it recover?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
This is a good question. It depends. I work mostly on collected trees. My approach is that I barely touch the tree on first year. Usually not on next spring after the collection from wild. Reason is I prefer increaing survival over anything else. Of course gentle wiring of future main branches is no big risk, although I rarely do it as well.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This is a good question. It depends. I work mostly on collected trees. My approach is that I barely touch the tree on first year. Usually not on next spring after the collection from wild. Reason is I prefer increaing survival over anything else. Of course gentle wiring of future main branches is no big risk, although I rarely do it as well.
Cheers Maros. There’s not a ton of info out there on dogs so it’s pretty great to get to pick someone’s brain who creates some beauties.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Dogwood with fruits now.
DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0759.JPG

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Magnificent! I wish my climate was nice to dogwood. Even as landscape trees, they don't like our heat. 🤢

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Magnificent! I wish my climate was nice to dogwood. Even as landscape trees, they don't like our heat. 🤢
Thanks, Mike. Regarding climate, they definitely can sustain some heat. They tend to grow on dry hillsides in my country. Sure they are first to show signs they need water in my garden during summer midday so I tend to water them strongly. But they can definitely sustain a lot. I have seen some in Marija Hajdic collection down in Split, Croatia which is the much warmer place than mine. You lose nothing by giving it a try with one plant, eventually.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey @Maros what do you think of a structural prune and height reduction on my kousa dogwood this winter followed by a slip pot in spring time? Wouldn’t plan on disturbing roots much in terms of pruning them.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey @Maros what do you think of a structural prune and height reduction on my kousa dogwood this winter followed by a slip pot in spring time? Wouldn’t plan on disturbing roots much in terms of pruning them.
If the plant is well established there should not be any problem. I couldn't speak for your local variety specifically, but dogwoods are generally strong growers, they respond well to pruning, back-budding well from old wood, they handle well rootwork and grow new fibre roots quickly. So with good care and luck, you should be OK.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If the plant is well established there should not be any problem. I couldn't speak for your local variety specifically, but dogwoods are generally strong growers, they respond well to pruning, back-budding well from old wood, they handle well rootwork and grow new fibre roots quickly. So with good care and luck, you should be OK.
Appreciate the advice. Definitely has been my experience thus far.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have another question if you don’t mind.

Many of the larger branches from this years growth on mine either need to be wired or guy lined (leaning toward this). Have you found a time best suited to this? I’m nervous about waiting until next fall as I’m worried they’ll get too large. Is winter pointless? Late spring/early summer and just loosen as needed?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I have another question if you don’t mind.

Many of the larger branches from this years growth on mine either need to be wired or guy lined (leaning toward this). Have you found a time best suited to this? I’m nervous about waiting until next fall as I’m worried they’ll get too large. Is winter pointless? Late spring/early summer and just loosen as needed?
You need to do it until it is possible. Dogwoods have very hard wood when hardened and you can find out easily it is too late and you are not able to manipulate. When wiring during the winter provide frost protection if possible afterwards

Top Bottom