Dogwood

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi folks, the first signs of springs are here in my area. Flowers will open much more in the next two weeks so I'll make another set of pictures and post it.
I hope flowers can bring a little more joy to our lives in though times.

DSC_3648.jpg

DSC_3637.jpg

DSC_3636.jpg

DSC_3643.jpg

itisoktodance

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi! I'm about to become an owner of a dogwood and want to get some info beforehand. Do these want a lot of sun? Our summers are brutal, so I wonder if it would prefer a position in the shade instead. Thank you!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi! I'm about to become an owner of a dogwood and want to get some info beforehand. Do these want a lot of sun? Our summers are brutal, so I wonder if it would prefer a position in the shade instead. Thank you!
Cornus mas in nature grows mostly on south-facing hills and likes a lot of light and sun. It grows a lot of time on rocky soils sometimes dry. On another hand, it is the first tree in the garden which shows when it is too hot and dry. New green, not hardened branches soften and bend down when it is too hot and dry. In my experience, you can water them a lot and it is not possible to overwater them in the inorganic substrate. In summer with temperatures above 30°C, I water them three times a day. If not watered sufficiently during the summer edges of the leaves could be damaged and dry.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
awesome to walk through the seasons with you...
this really is a special tree 👍

itisoktodance

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cornus mas in nature grows mostly on south-facing hills and likes a lot of light and sun. It grows a lot of time on rocky soils sometimes dry. On another hand, it is the first tree in the garden which shows when it is too hot and dry. New green, not hardened branches soften and bend down when it is too hot and dry. In my experience, you can water them a lot and it is not possible to overwater them in the inorganic substrate. In summer with temperatures above 30°C, I water them three times a day. If not watered sufficiently during the summer edges of the leaves could be damaged and dry.
Thank you! I've heard they also drop branches easily. What's your experience with this?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you! I've heard they also drop branches easily. What's your experience with this?
I do not have such experience. Obviously, if the tree is very dense during the growth season and inner parts are shaded, you could lose a weak branch. But it is not common and not happening more than on any other species I grow.

Top Bottom