DOH!

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here I am, in Chicago, where it’s gonna dip to freezing temps briefly tonight (because Chicago weather, obviously). Trying to be a good little noob, I moved some of the delicate stuff into protection and what happens while I’m doing that? I drop a tree of course!
869897F1-64EE-4959-AC0D-7EBC14D5E1A6.jpeg

Pot was fully upside down, all the substrate on the ground. Just got this cherry through its first winter too 🤦🏻‍♂️

Should be okay, landed in some taller grass which helped to cushion it. Brought it right inside and got it resituated and watered in.

stupid me lol

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kinda like more soldiers get injured in training accidents back at the base than in combat in any given year.

It happens. Lost almost as many trees to cats as my own stupidity.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Even in summer just pop the tree back in a pot, fill with soil and water well. Trees can survive much more than most of us allow for. A few minutes of roots exposed in air is no problem at all. I've had trees out of pots for most of the day and they grew well after.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
stuff into protection and what happens while I’m doing that? I drop a tree of course!

So that WAS frost on the neighbors roof?!

The ground was warm enough to negate it lower.

I hope everyone reads this and understands this is the exact thing that happens that never should have!

People cut on their trees too much. That causes them to open early because they need to gather energy.

If you allow them good growth, don't try to rush them, and only cut before spring and before fall, they will NEVER open too early.

Then you never ever have to worry about them not knowing the weather better than us.

They knew that frost wasn't going to effect them.

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not a Chicago thing, we've had freeze warning the past two nights, but being up higher the cold air settles to the valley and they froze down there and I only got down to 37°F. And it's not a noob thing. I did an emergency repot on four trees I had just repotted a week before we got hit by gale force gusting that knocked them right out of the pots. And of course on my crowded deck they don't just fall down. They crash into other trees and it's a mess.
Stupidity knows no bounds or limitations. They're all securely wired into the pots now, like I shudda dunit the first time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
People cut on their trees too much. That causes them to open early because they need to gather energy.

Sorry....the truth is....

People up here cut their trees too much because where are all of our largest instructors from?

Who's trees do "you admire"?

My entire list includes no one from my area...
Except Walter Pall. This is why I cling to him so greatly.

Anyone else....THG, the Flower Market?, Any of these nurseries, tend to house above 34f all winter in the "fully appropriate cost heavy HVAC inclusive" design of a proper wintering location, that isn't simply on the ground.

This is simple innocent misguidance.

But....it's a fact.

You shouldn't admire my trees, I wouldn't expect anyone to admire....mostly neglected shit.

Just don't make my 8 year mistake!...9.

Resorce.

Sorce

Top Bottom