Doin' the Bonsai 2 Step Tonight

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I haven't done the 2 step since winter of '18....been playing it as safe as I can.

But we've been in the 70's for days, and of course, as the Mid-Atlantic is want to do, gonna have 4 or 5 hours below freezing tonight.

I've been repotting some trees, still have some to go, and I moved everything out from winter storage out to the bench on Friday.

So....The Bonsai 2 Step commences.
All recently repotted trees are inside for the night....21 trees and a Kusamono!

Still need to paint and install trim....and better lighting in my tokonoma.
20200321_193435.jpg20200321_193445.jpg
Smells like Neem in here! Mmmmm....😜

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been doing the 2 step on about half my trees for the last 2 weeks. Hopefully tonight is the last time.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We're having some nice and warm days here in the Detroit area, but we are still below freezing almost every night. I'm concerned the maples might wake up and die in a late freeze in mid April.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We're having some nice and warm days here in the Detroit area, but we are still below freezing almost every night. I'm concerned the maples might wake up and die in a late freeze in mid April.
Gotta be careful with those Maples....
As I just finished saying in another thread....Aside from my native Acer Rubrum....I'm done with maples.....so beautiful....and such a headache.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm glad I did the dance last night and this morning....the ones outside are frozen to the benches....soil surface is hard as a rock.

Part of me is always curious about seeing what the trees can handle as far as cold temperatures and freezes. But after losing a bunch of trees during the first winter at my new house, I'm trying to play it safe for now.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been doing it for about a week now. I thought I was so clever loading all of the up on my garden cart but then I remembered that it RAINS in the spring. lol. I'd rather it not sit out in the rain all day.

I'm only doing it for some junipers that got extra protection for various reasons (mostly recent repots). The rest are either still in the root cellar or are sitting in the winter storage beds.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Damn....glad I dont live that far North!
The warm weather had made my larch start waking up. It was due for a root pruning. In the last two weeks I have been bringing it in the garage at least 3 nights a week to keep the roots from freezing. I moved a few pines out at the same time. My concern is they might have lost their winter hardiness with the handful of 60 F days we have had. So they move too. Better safe than sorry. Given the social distancing I at least have plenty of time for the dance.

Luckily my maples have not started moving and have stayed in winter storage this whole time.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Edit
Of course above average, does not mean no freezing temperatures
particularly below zone 7, but it looks to be just that, above average.
I saw locally last week, we should have above avg for April and May, but below for June
which I take as a prolonged Spring growing season for our region. + allergies....

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Edit
Of course above average, does not mean no freezing temperatures
particularly below zone 7, but it looks to be just that, above average.
I saw locally last week, we should have above avg for April and May, but below for June
which I take as a prolonged Spring growing season for our region. + allergies....
Hopefully, I should have some seedlings on the way and I wouldn't like to have them indoors.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I haven't done the 2 step since winter of '18....been playing it as safe as I can.

But we've been in the 70's for days, and of course, as the Mid-Atlantic is want to do, gonna have 4 or 5 hours below freezing tonight.

I've been repotting some trees, still have some to go, and I moved everything out from winter storage out to the bench on Friday.

So....The Bonsai 2 Step commences.
All recently repotted trees are inside for the night....21 trees and a Kusamono!

Still need to paint and install trim....and better lighting in my tokonoma.
View attachment 290311View attachment 290312
Smells like Neem in here! Mmmmm....😜
Same here. A few days ago

IMG_20200309_095535.jpg
IMG_20200309_095525.jpg

And today...

IMG_20200321_121347~3.jpg

Top Bottom