Doing a chop on Ficus benjamina

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am getting a large (8+ft) Ficus benjamina from a local person and am looking at chopping it back to make into something more bonsai like. It is currently around 8 feet tall and very leggy but has an interesting twisted trunk that I think would make a nice bonsai. My question is should I gradually prune it back to encourage lower growth or just chop and let it grow.
I will be repotting it when I get it as it has not been repotted in a long time from the sounds of it.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Slow down. When you get it James post a couple of pictures so we can evaluate the soil, trunk, foliage, where it is budding out and its general health. Also what environment has it been kept in and what environment do you plan to keep it in?

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I hope to be picking it up later today. I will post up some photos. I would guess that it is still in the same soil and pot that the tree started off in. Right now it will be living indoors in my front room with good east-west exposure with sun all day. It will be a while before I will do anything other than a possible trim for dead or weak limbs.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Giga,
I would love to keep it out doors but where I live is at 9700ft in elevation and one storm it can be snowed/hailed on with a 40 degree shift in temperature. I live in a very different micro climate than most so tropicals are moved in and out a lot due to weather and temperature swings. It will be outside as much as it can.

Top Bottom