Doing Yamadori near railroad tracks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have collected a few needle juniper seedlings from the railroads edge, and I was wondering if they will survive, because the company who owns the tracks sprays pesticides on them.

Also, does anybody have advice for yamadori trees i.e. “Where are good places to get yamadori on the east coast and west coast?”

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yamadori can only be collected in the mountains. otherwise, they would not be called yamadori 😉

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have collected a few needle juniper seedlings from the railroads edge, and I was wondering if they will survive, because the company who owns the tracks sprays pesticides on them.

Also, does anybody have advice for yamadori trees i.e. “Where are good places to get yamadori on the east coast and west coast?”
Seedling will probably survive well. Plant them up and leave them for a year.

Yama means mountain and dori is tree.
So you would need to go to the mountain.😄

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please fill out your profile

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

If you pulled out seedlings alive they should be ok.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Collecting from railroad property is a ticklish situation. They can be pretty picky and harsh on trespassers. Collectors beware.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Appalachians are mountains.....

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Appalachians endured events the Rockies could only dream about.😜
Yeah, the Rockies are kind of low too. Biggest mountains here are fourteeners. Where I come from, mountains in front of the city are 16 thousand feet and up

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Seedling will probably survive well. Plant them up and leave them for a year.

Yama means mountain and dori is tree.
So you would need to go to the mountain.😄
Yama means mountain but dori does not mean tree.
Dori is more like to take, to pick.
So yamadori (山採り)means more like taken from mountain.
Tree is ki, so If you want to say mountain tree it would be yamaki (山木)which is also used in japan. Usually when someone talks about a tree they will say it is a yamaki , not a yamadori

Last edited:

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yama means mountain but dori does not mean tree.
Dori is more like to take, to pick.
So yamadori (山採り)means more like taken from mountain.
Tree is ki, so If you want to say mountain tree it would be yamaki (山木)which is also used in japan. Usually when someone talks about a tree they will say it is a yamaki , not a yamadori
Thanks for that, I knew ki but I thought dori was another pronunciation. I stand corrected (actually I sit corrected because I am in a chair). :)

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Please do tell:confused:?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The railroads don't spray pesticides. They could care less about insect pests. They spray herbicides. If the plant has escaped the spray or is resistant to it it should be fine, but I would be cautious. Still I know, if you find a great plant you will throw caution to the wind. We all would.
By the way, the closest comparison to the young Appalachian range would be the Himalayas.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trees you have collected are not needle junipers, but eastern red cedar (juniperus virginiana). They make very poor bonsai subjects. Also, collecting trees ANY tree on land that you don't own requires permission. Railroad rights of way included. If you get caught stealing trees (and you are stealing--even if the trees are tiny), and trespassing in collecting trees for bonsai, you give ALL of us a bad rep. ASK before you help yourself, yeah even for those tiny trees "that nobody will miss." It's not about the size of the tree, it's about common courtesy and not giving people the idea that bonsaiists are a bunch of thieves/trespassers/vandals.

Off my soapbox...and on to another.

I have lived all over the U.S. I've lived in or near the Rockies, the Cascades, the San Francisco Peaks and the Santa Catalinas in Arizona, as well as the last half of my life in the Appalachians, specifically the Blue Ridge...All of those places have their own special feel. Comparing them is silly.

People visiting from Western states to the Appalachians always, ALWAYS, say stuff like "THESE aren't mountains. Come out West where real mountains are."

Whenever that happens, I have to smile to myself. People come at it like its some superiority contest. It's like New Yorkers moving to Nashville and bitching that the buildings are small and there are no decent bagels. For crying out loud, OF COURSE THERE AREN'T. IT'S NOT NEW YORK (or Colorado, ;-) ) It is a place unto itself with it's own special stuff. NYC doesn't have any decent country music dancehalls, bar-b-que, etc. Why not enjoy what is there, instead of complaining about what isn't and making it some kind of idiotic comparison that boils down to height?

The Appalachians are a fascinating place in themselves, that have many things that younger western ranges don't. For instance, the Appalachians are old, one of the oldest mountain ranges on the planet. They were part of China, 450 million years ago. They are among the most biodiverse places on earth, as well. The plants and animals there have close species relatives in mainland China. Back then they were higher than the Rockies and the Alps. What you're seeing now are what is destiny for those young peaks you think are the ultimate. They're also accessible, but in a lot of places very remote. Some of the higher ridges reach almost 5,000 feet and some of the westward-facing slopes and plateaus have biomes that animals and plants that are native to the artic tundra.
biodiverse

Top Bottom