Don’t buy

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is interesting, it is a white grey color dry and a spectrum of browns when wet. Im guessing regional sources probably has something to do with it.
I've had some like this (when wet), some that are a dull gray, and some that are more or less pinkish/tan. I've never felt or noticed any difference in durability, but every once in a while I come across someone online complaining that their DE completely turned to mush and it's always the dull grey kind.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just purchased some Optisorb the other day and it's exactly the same as the NAPA stuff*. It can be crushed with your fingers if you really try, and if you roll it between your fingers underwater it will erode quickly. But in a pot, it has lasted me 1.5 years without losing any structural integrity. Ive found it does compact over time when used straight, which may reduce the air pockets between each particle, but using it in a mix seems to negate this.

20210109_094007.jpg
I've read Optisorb it's not calcinated while 8822 is. But I've seen just as many people claim 8822 turns to muck, and I've not experienced this personally. So I investigated the issue and I'm determined to prove once and for all that they are the same.

Exhibit A: EP minerals oil absorbent product line
Screenshot_20210109-095523_Drive.jpg

NAPA 8822 is the "floor-dry" brand, which as you notice is specifically noted to be kiln-fired while the other DE products are not. This means the other DE products must not be calcinated, right? Im not so sure. It smells like a marketing technique to sell an "extra safe" tier of product, but is actually the same.

Exhibit B: EP Minerals product spec sheets for each brand:

20210109_102537.jpg

Their descriptions are identical, both "kiln dried". They come from the same plant. They are the same in nearly every way except that Optisorb has a slightly larger particle size on average and appears to be marketed to a French, possibly French-Canadian market.

Last edited:

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just purchased some Optisorb the other day and it's exactly the same as the NAPA stuff*. It can be crushed with your fingers if you really try, and if you roll it between your fingers underwater it will erode quickly. But in a pot, it has lasted me 1.5 years without losing any structural integrity. Ive found it does compact over time when used straight, which may reduce the air pockets between each particle, but using it in a mix seems to negate this.

View attachment 348483
I've read Optisorb it's not calcinated while 8822 is. But I've seen just as many people claim 8822 turns to muck, and I've not experienced this personally. So I investigated the issue and I'm determined to prove once and for all that they are the same.

Exhibit A: EP minerals oil absorbent product line
View attachment 348484

NAPA 8822 is the "floor-dry" brand, which as you notice is specifically noted to be kiln-fired while the other DE products are not. This means the other DE products must not be calcinated, right? Im not so sure. It smells like a marketing technique to sell an "extra safe" tier of product, but is actually the same.

Exhibit B: EP Minerals product spec sheets for each brand:

View attachment 348485

Their descriptions are identical, both "kiln dried". They come from the same plant. They are the same in nearly every way except that Optisorb has a slightly larger particle size on average and appears to be marketed to a French, possibly French-Canadian market.
Interesting, yeah I've heard the same complaints about optisorb and napa, however it's rare for both. That's why I always check my bag (submerge it, try to crush it, etc.) I've never had a bad bag. Being able to quickly erode it under water is not normal in my experience. It's always been pretty damn tough for me. For example, I can only snap the really flat, large pieces with my fingers. If it still lasts then I guess it's fine

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Interesting, yeah I've heard the same complaints about optisorb and napa, however it's rare for both. That's why I always check my bag (submerge it, try to crush it, etc.) I've never had a bad bag. Being able to quickly erode it under water is not normal in my experience. It's always been pretty damn tough for me. For example, I can only snap the really flat, large pieces with my fingers. If it still lasts then I guess it's fine
I've previously purchased multiple bags of floor-dry from multiple sources. Then tested DE from each source and the results were the same as the optisorb. That's what's important.

I find the DE does break down into a dust if you apply continuous friction, especially when wet. But under normal circumstances it should not break down, at least not for awhile since my oldest batch is 16 months old and going strong.

Top Bottom