Don Gould again

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I poste this earlier today in another Don Gould thread. I don't know if it made it. Anyway, picked up this DG oval from Matt Ouwinga last week. Matty O is selling some choice Western bonsai potters work on consignment from a "noted collection" here in the east. I'm always a sucker for DGould's work. Love his attention to working detail on his pots, especially since he was making this stuff more than 20 years ago, when most bonsai potters were only making pasta bowls with holes in the bottom. The tie-in holes on this pot are countersunk on the interior to lessen the bind wires put on the ceramic when the wires are tightened at repottinggouldoval2.jpggouldoval1.jpgGouldoval3.jpg. The incised "waves" on the interior floor and sides help plant roots grip the interior surface. The glaze, as most DGould glazes are, is spectacular (at least to me)....

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love Don's work. I was hangin' with him and Bob when they first got started. I have a number of his pots from the old days, and some great memories. Are they appreciating?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love Don's work. I was hangin' with him and Bob when they first got started. I have a number of his pots from the old days, and some great memories. Are they appreciating?
Depends on if they find the right buyer (like everything else). Some of them aren't exactly cheap, particularly for designs he didn't do often (ovals, large pots) , but I have found several at local bonsai sales (PBA Show) where they weren't too expensive (medium sized rounds).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I once bought a very ugly larch in a very nice Don Gould pot, for $75. The larch hit the compost bin the pot has a spot of honor, right now on a shelf, but sooner or later it will be under a hornbeam.
Pots don't die unless you're a clutz ;-)

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Depends on if they find the right buyer (like everything else). Some of them aren't exactly cheap, particularly for designs he didn't do often (ovals, large pots) , but I have found several at local bonsai sales (PBA Show) where they weren't too expensive (medium sized rounds).
His ovals and cornered pots were hand built using an extrusion from a pug mill and slab bottom. I made paired wooden moldings for them that they used to join the ends of the extrusions. Very clever technique for trying to produce and compete with imported pots at a time (30 years ago) when bonsai was much smaller than it is today.

Top Bottom