Don Gould pots

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious about the availability of Don Gould bonsai pots these days. Don was killed in a car accident back in 06, but had been one of the premier bonsai potters back in the 90's.

I ran across a pot from his last run of containers the other day in my basement. I had forgotten I had it. Has anyone seen his work for sale lately?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not lately, but there was one for sale at the Tower Hill( Worchester area) show a couple of years ago. One of our members and a local potter whos name I can't remember were talking about it, so I remember the name.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got one at the PBA auction just last week. A slender rectangle about 10x15x5?, rather rustic looking, quite heavy. Not sure yet what I will put in it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was my pot at the PBA auction :D

Congratulations on the purchase. It was never used and I bought it directly from Don the year before he died.

FYI, Don was particularly good with glazes and that pot showed it. He researched ancient Chinese and Japanese glazes that could translate to modern bonsai pots. All of his worked showed his skill with glazes. The pot you bought was part of his "second round" of bonsai activity. He had been quite active in bonsai pot making in the early 90's, producing some of the best American bonsai pots back then. He left bonsai in favor of producing dinnerware and tableware pottery because he said the effort to make bonsai pots required alot of time and little return.

The second round of production started about six or seven years later when he found a way to produce pots quicker using a computer generated molding process that allowed more uniform production. The pots retained the heavy frost resistant construction qualities that his previous work had. He had also instituted a novel "pot subscription" program that involved paying an up front fee that paid for a series of pots produced over time. I didn't buy into it to get into that program though, buying that one at his PBA show/sale table in '05--if my creaky memory serves.

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That was my pot at the PBA auction :D

Congratulations on the purchase. It was never used and I bought it directly from Don the year before he died.

FYI, Don was particularly good with glazes and that pot showed it. He researched ancient Chinese and Japanese glazes that could translate to modern bonsai pots. All of his worked showed his skill with glazes. The pot you bought was part of his "second round" of bonsai activity. He had been quite active in bonsai pot making in the early 90's, producing some of the best American bonsai pots back then. He left bonsai in favor of producing dinnerware and tableware pottery because he said the effort to make bonsai pots required alot of time and little return.
Very happy with my purchase. Nice bowed dish from Ron Lang, and a 3rd that I cant make out the stamp on. Was that you in a dark baseball hat with 2 pins?
I am a fan of another potter who has not shown at the PBA tent for several years due to the poor ROI factor. Richard Robertson from Rockport, Maine makes some great looking pots, but sells mostly non-bonsai items at several galleries in Maine so he can make ends meet. I went to his antique farmhouse there and he let me pick through his entire inventory of bonsai pots. I'll have to pay him a visit next month when I go back.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to hear you like them. I was hesitant in selling all of them. That was me in the blue Nats cap.

That small oval was made by Dan Finnegan, a local potter down in Fredericksburg, VA. He isn't making bonsai pots anymore, but made quite a few back in the early to mid 1990's. I still use some of the salt glazed slabs I got from Finnegan. They are terrific, made with ground up porcelain bits that resemble rocks and sand...

That Ron Lang pot was the first I ever bought from him over ten years ago. I was sad to see it go.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I am a fan of another potter who has not shown at the PBA tent for several years due to the poor ROI factor. Richard Robertson from Rockport, Maine makes some great looking pots, but sells mostly non-bonsai items at several galleries in Maine so he can make ends meet. I went to his antique farmhouse there and he let me pick through his entire inventory of bonsai pots. I'll have to pay him a visit next month when I go back.
I've got 5 or 6 of his pots and I like them alot. New England Bonsai Gardens has had a descent number of his pots for sale in the past...check their website or give them a call.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got 5 or 6 of his pots and I like them alot. New England Bonsai Gardens has had a descent number of his pots for sale in the past...check their website or give them a call.
good to know of other inventory, but Richard's farm is literally 15 minutes from my place in Maine. Only prob is that I only go once a year due to the 12hr drive.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad to hear you like them. I was hesitant in selling all of them. That was me in the blue Nats cap.

That small oval was made by Dan Finnegan, a local potter down in Fredericksburg, VA. He isn't making bonsai pots anymore, but made quite a few back in the early to mid 1990's. I still use some of the salt glazed slabs I got from Finnegan. They are terrific, made with ground up porcelain bits that resemble rocks and sand...
Rockm- I think I have a good tree for the Finnegan pot, and it'll keep you in the karma loop of the pot. I got from a good friend who passed away last year a root-over rock Elm that I think Stanley Chinn started. My friend and Stanley Chinn were friends and both had ties to the Arboretum. I think it will be ready for potting next spring. Here is a shot right after I dug it out of his yard.

df5d4ad7.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a cool tree, funky, but cool :D. Will definitely work with the pot.

Cleaner

Seed
Reaction score
This is a very old thread, but I'm reviving it to see if there is still any interest in Don Gould's pots. I have some information, but want to get a feel for the current situation.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
This is a very old thread, but I'm reviving it to see if there is still any interest in Don Gould's pots. I have some information, but want to get a feel for the current situation.
I think any opportunity to keep alive the memory of someone from this community should be well received. Please feel free to introduce those of us not familiar with Don to his work and legacy.

Cleaner

Seed
Reaction score
I think any opportunity to keep alive the memory of someone from this community should be well received. Please feel free to introduce those of us not familiar with Don to his work and legacy.

You make a good point!

Well, where do I start. If you're on Reddit/r/bonsai, you may know me as ntgCleaner, who's dad is about to sell all of his Bonsai stuff. I've been talking to him over the past couple of weeks since he decided this and I've been starting to make arrangements for most of his stuff. Anyways, I personally knew Don before the accident. He and my dad started Keystone Arts together in the 90s when I was a kid and they were pretty close friends. My dad explained to me some of Don's techniques for glazing and pottery creation.

My dad took me back to a room in his barn that has about 80 Don Gould pots, going all the way back from before Keystone Arts. He has most of them appraised, but honestly, they're priceless!
Here's a panorama of the tight space: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tHSE6UAw8uR6Drkm7. Skilled eyes may notice a certain pot that has been discussed above, the "Computer Generated" process above was only a small portion of that type of pot. Apparently he used a program to help with the design process, but my dad and him actually made the mould out of wood and cornstarch/glue. He produced several of those pots and as you may see there's one pot out of the box and 5 boxes below it with the same pot. He also has another dozen or so in another room.

Pretty soon, my wife and I are going to start a photography project, taking photos of ALL of Don's pots (and my dad's pots as well) and we will be putting them up on a website I made a couple of weeks ago that will list them for show 9and possibly sale). We're hoping that taking some photos of Don's work will allow him to regain a little momentum in his memory.

For now, enjoy the cell-phone-panorama-of-a-dusty-back-room-in-a-barn photo and know that soon to come will be cleaned up high quality photos of his work!

Edit: Hands off the chartreuse pot! I'm repotting something in that in a few weeks!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
You make a good point!

Well, where do I start. If you're on Reddit/r/bonsai, you may know me as ntgCleaner, who's dad is about to sell all of his Bonsai stuff. I've been talking to him over the past couple of weeks since he decided this and I've been starting to make arrangements for most of his stuff. Anyways, I personally knew Don before the accident. He and my dad started Keystone Arts together in the 90s when I was a kid and they were pretty close friends. My dad explained to me some of Don's techniques for glazing and pottery creation.

My dad took me back to a room in his barn that has about 80 Don Gould pots, going all the way back from before Keystone Arts. He has most of them appraised, but honestly, they're priceless!
Here's a panorama of the tight space: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tHSE6UAw8uR6Drkm7. Skilled eyes may notice a certain pot that has been discussed above, the "Computer Generated" process above was only a small portion of that type of pot. Apparently he used a program to help with the design process, but my dad and him actually made the mould out of wood and cornstarch/glue. He produced several of those pots and as you may see there's one pot out of the box and 5 boxes below it with the same pot. He also has another dozen or so in another room.

Pretty soon, my wife and I are going to start a photography project, taking photos of ALL of Don's pots (and my dad's pots as well) and we will be putting them up on a website I made a couple of weeks ago that will list them for show 9and possibly sale). We're hoping that taking some photos of Don's work will allow him to regain a little momentum in his memory.

For now, enjoy the cell-phone-panorama-of-a-dusty-back-room-in-a-barn photo and know that soon to come will be cleaned up high quality photos of his work!

Edit: Hands off the chartreuse pot! I'm repotting something in that in a few weeks!
The link you posted didn’t work for me, but please let me know about the site when you get it set up so I can learn more about Don and your dad’s work.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You make a good point!

That's great. Long overdue. Don was a great potter and was taken far too soon. I've been doing bonsai since the mid-90's or a bit earlier. I remember Keystone arts quite well. Very good quality.

Looking forward to seeing the website!

Here's a big custom drum I commissioned from Don in 93 or so. It's over 16 inches across and almost three inches deep. Don asked me "what in the hell are you going to put in this" I had a sad San Jose juniper that lived in it for years, until I threw the damn thing out because it was so ugly. The pot, however, remains fantastic in appearance and durability.

The second one is a smaller pot I picked up from Jim Doyle at Nature's Way a couple of years ago.

gouldtwo.jpggouldone.jpggoulddrum.jpg

Last edited:

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
@rockm, there are a few people with his containers for sale. Most are in PA. Please pm me and I’ll get you their contact info.

Cleaner

Seed
Reaction score
@rockm, Thank you for sharing that, they're beautiful! I've been interested in seeing his other works.

I've seen my dad do the same thing. Hated the look of a tree after working on it for so long that he put it back in a nursery pot and gave it away. I can't imagine the frustration.

Funny you mention Jim Doyle. He's the guy who has appraised my dad's collection and these pots. I'm learning more and more of how small this world is!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cleaner What's the status of the website with the Gould pots?

Cleaner

Seed
Reaction score
@rockm Thank you for asking! We're getting the last 12 pots on there (somewhat ironically, the pots mentioned above that were 'mass produced') and my dad just has to write some more descriptions and get the pricing right. You can view the current site at www.windsweptbonsai.com. Nothing is for sale yet, but I will announce when the prices go live! Please take a look, spread the word!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked up a nice Don Gould pot last week from Matt Ouwinga. It's glaze is excellent and like always, construction is heavy and sturdy. Always liked the attention to detail that Don put into his work. The wiring in holes are countersunk inside to prevent wire from cracking the pot when tightened or having the pot cut the wire...
gouldoval2.jpggouldoval1.jpgGouldoval3.jpg

Top Bottom