Don't really like Japanese Black Pines

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Gulf Coast pine choices are pretty much limited to what can grow under fairly tropical conditions. In terms of imports, the ones I’m aware of that work here are Pinus thunbergii (JBP), Pinus densiflora (JRP), Pinus halepensis (Aleppo pine) and Pinus canariensis (Canary Island pine). Then there are the natives to the pineywoods of East Texas, the loblolly and shortleaf pine (a close relative of the loblolly). JBP and JRP are the only ones I’ve seen successfully adapted to bonsai culture. Ive worked with loblolly and aleppo and I know others have as well. I’d say the jury is still out, but there might be some promise there. I know one or two people that have tried without luck to grow virginia, bristlecone, ponderosa and 2 needle piñon, as well as a number of others.

- S
Oh no, I was talking about scots pines! Sorry for the miscommunication. The P. sylvestris from Italy are known to have smaller needles and shorter internodes, the norwegian type backbuds like JBP without the fat branches that the watererii cultivar has (but the watererii has a shade of blue that's just awesome).
I'm far from tropical temperatures. Sure, we get tropical temperature summers but our autumns, winters and springs can get pretty cold. Halepensis, longaeva, banksiana, JRP and ponderosa seem to do fine here. Halepensis surprised me, since their natural range usually doesn't get any frosts. Longaeva surprises me because I'm more or less at/below sealevel and they're known to hate low elevations. I'm having a hard time importing seed from the US, but rigida is still on my wanted list. I had one but the birds yanked it from the pot and it died. I'll have a look at the other ones you mention, there might be something in there for me too.

But I'm derailing this thread by talking about my own favorites ;-)

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
wow it is strange that you cannot grow JBP. Do you have succes with other pine specie ? if yes, i don't understand why you can't grow JBP
Me neither! We are in the same climate, yet we have no problems growing jbp from seed! Maybe his approach is to scientific in stead of just growing trees!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I swear I didn't know Scots pines had such serious advocates. You could start a fan club.
Imagine, it started with the Christmas tree of my childhood. :D
I have about six different varieties / cultivars now but they are all pretty young. I have one that was a seedling when I got it 30 years ago. I was not caring for it well about 5 years bag when it was almost completely defoliated by those blasted caterpillars that feed on pine needles (seem to have forgotten the name ...... of sooo many things). So I repotted it and cut of the dead branches and now it is just gaining vigor. Serious makeover needed.

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Everyone is entitled to their own preferences. But, JBP respond very well to bonsai techniques.

Here is one of my shohin. Not a “spectacular” tree, but I think it’s respectable:

View attachment 334138
I have to say that’s probably one of the nicest JBP I’ve seen! Very well done. Maybe I’ll have something that nice someday. :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to say that’s probably one of the nicest JBP I’ve seen! Very well done. Maybe I’ll have something that nice someday. :)
It will look a lot better after I’ve wired it. In a couple weeks.

Top Bottom