Don't spray this on Junipers

keegan

Sapling
Reaction score
What is it?

There is some common spray for other trees that is toxic to junipers and I've heard of overspray hitting junipers and harming them. What is this substance? I can't remember. Insecticide? Copper? Clearys?

My google searching has not produced fruit.

Help?

Thanks!
Keegan

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oils can take the color away from some junipers. I test sprayed horticultural oil (summer dilution, so pretty low concentration) on half of a procumbens and that half turned an
ugly bright lime green. I don't know if it harmed the plant but it was ugly. I've used daconil and copper fungicide without any issues, but haven't had to use clearys or any
insecticides.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the wintersoaps and algea removers have warnings against using it on cypres?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've sprayed many different insecticides, miticides, fungicides and horticultural oil- both summer and winter dilutions- on my junipers... the oils were by far the most "damaging", and all they did was remove the glaucous coloration of the foliage... it returned after a few months.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sulfur-based sprays are also safe for junipers! Malathion and Captan are the systemic antifungal brand names for those, I believe.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Horticultural Oil! That was it. Thanks!
Not a problem as long as the juniper is not in good Sun light.
Normally used as an over Wintering insecticide. As @Dav4 mentioned the discoloring goes away after a few months.
Malathion an insecticide, I use on all my junipers at least twice/year as a preventative, but have ceased the use of horticultural oils.
I use Insecticidal soap more than anything. It breaks down the exoskeleton making targeted/listed insects vulnerable to the elements.
Copper is fine also. Beyond these I have limited experience.

Could it have been lime sulphur perhaps?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sulfur-based sprays are also safe for junipers! Malathion and Captan are the systemic antifungal brand names for those, I believe.
Malathion is an insecticide. Oops.

Mancozeb is the juniper-safe, sulphuric systemic fungicide I was thinking of.

Top Bottom