Don't you hate strays?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:(

Was at my growing plt last night to clean up. And found tree of my little seedling projects that I had planted there in fall laying loose on the ground. Guess some animal (cat? Dog? Rabit?) must have come along and pulled it out. From the looks of things (Weed growing through it) they were there for a bit.

Soaked the roots in a nearby canal, took them home and popped them in a bucket of water.
Any last words?

driedout.jpg

1585758097525.png

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Any nibble marks? I've had deer come through and pull plants out of my bed and leave them lay.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Between raccoons and squirrels it is a common occurrence in my yard. If it was near water consider muskrats. Groundhogs can do this too. Sometimes raccoons and some other critters can be attracted to organic fertilizers. I used to use some for every tree or shrub I planted and the raccoons thought it was food and pulled the plants out to check.
My solution here is to use fox and/or coyote urine granules I get on Amazon. It works very well for me and the noticeable smell to humans fades after a few days.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. Anyone taking a wager whether this will sprout buds? And in time to live through winter? :)

1598807176997.png

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll put a fiver down for buds! Sorry to hear about the plants. Mother nature gives and she also takes sometimes

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll put a fiver down for buds! Sorry to hear about the plants. Mother nature gives and she also takes sometimes
lol. I think I am not actually taking bets ;)

At the moment, mama nature is giving. I am growing out of the garden. I have so many trees to many, I am considering a Mirai style fire sale!

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
lol. I think I am not actually taking bets ;)

At the moment, mama nature is giving. I am growing out of the garden. I have so many trees to many, I am considering a Mirai style fire sale!

Funny because I'm currently looking to adopt!! ;) Building a new bench next week...wouldn't want it to look too bare

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
So.. Anyone taking a wager whether this will sprout buds? And in time to live through winter? :)

View attachment 326026

A little bit late in the year to do this type of work. Early summer would be fine. This is within 25 days of the autumnal equinox, too late in the season to expect new growth to develop and harden off for winter. It you protect from freezing, it might survive.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah. I'll see. Might get lucky and not have winter. The last years we did not get real winter. Some years we get growth till late oktober.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(and of course.. This is a tree I never really meant to layer. It just was a crappy plant, destined for growing out, turned into project to experiment.

Top Bottom