Doorguys Sharps pygmy

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought this guy at the end of last year. This spring I've gotten It out of the nursery pot and into a shallower bulb tray. Also removed the old soil and replaced it with something a little more appropriate. Removed one ugly crossing root, and a few crossing branches. Wanted to let It flush out to help give energy to the roots growth. I'll need to get in there and do some pruning. The ramafication is already crazy.
IMG_20220522_131033176_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220522_131123436_HDR~2.jpg

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Great tree! I love Sharp’s. It’s even on the “Trees I’ve Killed” list. Someday, when I feel I’ve atoned for that particular sin I’ll get another.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great tree! I love Sharp’s. It’s even on the “Trees I’ve Killed” list. Someday, when I feel I’ve atoned for that particular sin I’ll get another.
I was extremely nervous waiting for the buds to break. I took off half the roots and all the soil, so the option of failure was there. Looks like it didn't miss a beat. I'm glad I grabbed it when I saw it.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I got mine as a decent but very straight low grafted tree and within the first 3 days that I had it I tried to put movement into the trunk and literally broke it in half. Funny enough the break was above the graft and it sprouted a shoot from the Sharp’s wood but destiny came calling in the form of a #%*@& squirrel which ate all the new growth and it never came back. So it was a vigorous tree but just had too much working against it. With that in mind yours should do just fine.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The tree is beautiful, but I'm concerned with the size of the pot that you currently have it in.....especially going into summer and our dry time here. To compound that, terra cotta "breathes" excessively and will be constantly wicking water away from the roots. Just be mindful, it may need an up-pot once our weather turns sunny.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree is beautiful, but I'm concerned with the size of the pot that you currently have it in.....especially going into summer and our dry time here. To compound that, terra cotta "breathes" excessively and will be constantly wicking water away from the roots. Just be mindful, it may need an up-pot once our weather turns sunny.
Thanks for the heads up. When it gets hot I'll be putting it in the shade. If needed I can water in the morning and at night, which is when I usually water. If I can't keep up I'll consider up potting. A recent burn barrel candidate left me with a suitable pot. My cotoneaster never woke from it's winter sleep. Sad, but that's bonsai sometimes.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
She's looking good, lots of roots shooting out of the bottom of the pot. I've got a shallow round pot for this one next spring. In the meantime I'm looking forward to the fall colors and the winter silhouette.IMG_20230820_140114562_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20230820_140144166_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20230820_140156334_HDR~2.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, that little guy really needs to stretch its legs.

The high level water loss is really showing on the outer walls of the pot.

To have the Sharps be happier for the intervening time, you might consider putting it in a bigger container, terra’s cotta pot and all ..with media surrounding the Terra cotta pot on all sides and bottom.

It’s an off beat idea, yet I’ve found it works well with terra cotta potted trees. (Old bonsai trick = OBT )

Cheers
DSD sends

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Are you going to do any styling on the trees or just growing it like that?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Incredible color!

Top Bottom