Dormancy for root sucker taken now?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I trimmed a root sucker from a japanese quince and have been rooting it in sphagnum moss, inside of a gallon tupperware under a grow light. I'm pretty confident that it'll take, but there's no way the roots will be ready for a hard Chicago winter. So I'm gonna overwinter it indoors under a grow light and cross my fingers, basically. The sucker would have to go anyways so it's not much lost if it fails but I'm wondering if I should bother with keeping it in the fridge or something.

Zone 5b

Attachments

• 22193926-7B5C-4028-A850-F5D929381752.jpeg
    22193926-7B5C-4028-A850-F5D929381752.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 10

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think you'll need to fridge it. I just took a bunch of cuttings yesterday, some are coming in for winter.

I think the warmth helps roots grow, in not too much light the stay "dormant" and safe.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a good number of cuttings indoors for the winter. This is a hot topic lately.

🤓

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a good number of cuttings indoors for the winter. This is a hot topic lately.

🤓

No kidding. This tupperware thing makes it a cinch. Up til I was doing it in mason jars but it was a headache for so many reasons. It's practically "set & forget"

So to be clear - I should be able to take cuttings from most deciduous trees and overwinter it indoors with no lasting ill effects?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No kidding. This tupperware thing makes it a cinch. Up til I was doing it in mason jars but it was a headache for so many reasons. It's practically "set & forget"

So to be clear - I should be able to take cuttings from most deciduous trees and overwinter it indoors with no lasting ill effects?

I did it last year successfully... this year I asked around JUST to see... and from the consensus.. this action SEEMS copacetic.

Top Bottom