Dormant oil spraying and fungicide

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Questions for you today about dormant oil spraying and fungicide.

After reading interresting post by member markyscott.
Watching videos and reading different articles I still have a few questions.

I think the posts found on the forum gave me the basics about dormant oil and fungicide different roles and application timing but I would like to ask more specific questions.
I resume all my questions in this single post, but atleast seperated in two categories:

Dormant oil:

I didnt buy any product for now as dormant oil
but I came across a video on youtube (forgot to get the link) made by someone who's living like me in Zone 5B (Montréal) who do the following before putting tree in winter storage:

Solution:

5ml olive oil
5ml soft soap
5ml vinegar

He spray this solution and brush the bark with a soft brush.

I would like to know your opinion on this option.
Basicly Im trying to figure out if it can be used on broadleaf and evergreen and if it would be as good or better than dormant oil including neem oil.

I plan to use dormant oil on 2 acer after leafs have fallen but I hesitate to spray my spruce.
Someone have experience on spraying spruce foliage with dormant oil of any type?

I read good things about neem oil as a dormant spray and I would like to confirm I can use it on my acers and spruce if I decide to go that route.

Just to be on the safe side can I apply dormant oil on young and older trees the same way?

Do you spray the substrate during application? It would make sense to spray substrate to control bugs that go dormant in the soil and get contact with dormant oil in Spring but can it cause damage to the roots or you have to protect the soil during application?

I plan on doing a single application before putting the trees in the winter shelter.

‐----------------------
Fungicide:

I would also like to start using fugicide in Spring before buds break.
I dont have easy acces to produt like 3336 that look like a good solution so I plan on using lime sulfur 23% calcium polysulphide diluted with water for the acers.
I still have to read more on the mix I should use but I read on the label that I should not spray acer.
There is a warning on the label about Lime sulfur used on Acer palmatum but from what I can read it doesnt seems to cause problem before buds break occur. So I think I found the product I will use on acer.

When spraying fugicide do you protect the soil?

I have a hard time finding a fungicide for evergreens but I read that neem oil can be used as a fungicide, is it what I can call a universal product?

Do you have other product to suggest as fungicide for evergreens except 3336?

Thanks alot for your time
Ugo

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would also like to start using fugicide in Spring before buds break.
Do you have a problem with fungi? or do you just enjoy spraying pesticides?
I can understand using a dormant oil preventative (athough I do not do that myself) but not for fungicides like 3336.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Do you have a problem with fungi? or do you just enjoy spraying pesticides?
I can understand using a dormant oil preventative (athough I do not do that myself) but not for fungicides like 3336.

Hi!

From my readings I was under the impression that spraying fungicide was more a preventive measure then a reactive one.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If there is no problem you do not need a solution.

Top Bottom