Dormant or Dying?!? Little help!

Hotwheelz27

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello! This is my 7 year old Chinese Elm.. I live in FL, very hot and pretty humid this year. Oct. has been rainy tho.
As of late, my beloved elm was thriving beautifully. New growth, bright green leaves etc. last week I came out to my lanai (screened patio with clear roof) to check him and his leaves were turning yellowy brown?? Some looked a little crispy and curling up but they are all still firmly attached.
I’ve done a scratch test, all branches & trunk are nice and green underneath but the leaves are worrisome.
Is he going into dormancy?? Did he get scorched? What is happening. Someone Pleaseee help!! Need advice. Thank you!!!
*those are egg shells on top of soil btw.

Attachments

• D9485048-54C1-41B6-AFB7-88B82B38401E.jpeg
    D9485048-54C1-41B6-AFB7-88B82B38401E.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 0B530100-8871-4971-BB95-B00E0D6B7837.jpeg
    0B530100-8871-4971-BB95-B00E0D6B7837.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 80

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like a dried out plant. Dying, but not dead yet.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Indeed x2 what @leatherback has said. This one looks a bit on the "I dried out for too long" side. Luckily for you elms in your area still have time to recover before they will (if at all) go dormant for the season. I dont want to get your hopes up though, this one looks pretty far gone, but it is an elm so there may still be energy left in it to push a little bit of growth to sustain it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is the skinniest, least substantial 7 year old anything I've ever seen. It could grow that big in 7 years in the Yukon Territory.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OK, an air layer from a 7 year old tree... The tippy-top?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe some slight shade and just keep up with watering. Shade to help bring down the moisture loss, help you with keeping on top of watering.

Matt H.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hotwheelz,
How long has this plant been in your possesion? How long has it been in the current location? How often do you water it? How do you determine when to water it?
M

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Salmonella!

It's been said that eggshells are useless even for the garden.

If allowed to dry, the leaves would likely fall off, this looks different.

Sorce

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
May have been your watering, or lack there of.
The tree as of now is very weak, but elms are notoriously tough so perhaps it is not too far gone.
If i were you I would set int a shady spot, defoliate any dead leaves and make sure to water almost daily, given you have free draining soil, if not then water only when necessary (When the soil is dry when you stick a finger in the soil)
after that, dont fertilize, and have patience and some sort of new growth should happen soon. Remember that trees want to live and will fight to do so!
Good luck
-Blimp

Hotwheelz27

Seedling
Reaction score
Hotwheelz,
How long has this plant been in your possesion? How long has it been in the current location? How often do you water it? How do you determine when to water it?
M
I’ve had him for about 6-7 months. He’s grown a little since I’ve gotten him and I’ve pruned and has steadily grown new foliage. The leaves aren’t falling off tho.. they have just turned colors and he’s still green underneath. I water about every 3 days or when he feels/looks dry. I normally tell by weight and sticking my finger in. It’s been in current location since I got him. But I have moved to more shaded spot in lanai.... what do I do??

Hotwheelz27

Seedling
Reaction score
May have been your watering, or lack there of.
The tree as of now is very weak, but elms are notoriously tough so perhaps it is not too far gone.
If i were you I would set int a shady spot, defoliate any dead leaves and make sure to water almost daily, given you have free draining soil, if not then water only when necessary (When the soil is dry when you stick a finger in the soil)
after that, dont fertilize, and have patience and some sort of new growth should happen soon. Remember that trees want to live and will fight to do so!
Good luck
-Blimp
I don’t know what to defoliate bc the leaves are still on there pretty good.. they just changed color? Still green with scratch test. I haven’t fertilized in about 3 weeks I’d say. Soil is pretty free draining.. with sand, small rock and little soil. What should I prune then? I’ve been watering every other day-ish. Just don’t want to over water. I’ve moved to more shaded location as well.. what else should I do??

Hotwheelz27

Seedling
Reaction score
Salmonella!

It's been said that eggshells are useless even for the garden.

If allowed to dry, the leaves would likely fall off, this looks different.

Sorce
The leaves aren’t falling off.. and I’ve tugged at them and they are on pretty firmly. They literally just changed colors...

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looki
I don’t know what to defoliate bc the leaves are still on there pretty good.. they just changed color? Still green with scratch test. I haven’t fertilized in about 3 weeks I’d say. Soil is pretty free draining.. with sand, small rock and little soil. What should I prune then? I’ve been watering every other day-ish. Just don’t want to over water. I’ve moved to more shaded location as well.. what else should I do??
At the leaves theyre dead and won't come back green, the yellow or brown ones will fall when you poke or pluck them out quite easily. Avoid fertilization, do you keep it inside? If so put it in a porch or a shaded but not dark location.
It needs to be outside, make sure that you water when it it's only when it needs to, stick your finger or stick or chop sticks in the soil if it's moist don't water, that method should get rid of any over watering issue.
Don't hesitate to ask more questions.
- Blimps

Top Bottom