Dormant Season Spraying Part 1: Broadleaf Deciduous Trees

Dormant Season Spraying Part 1: Broadleaf Deciduous Trees

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@markyscott since the dormant oils seem to just be mineral oil would just using a mixture of mineral oil and water work as dormant oil? Or is there something different about the oil they contain?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott since the dormant oils seem to just be mineral oil would just using a mixture of mineral oil and water work as dormant oil? Or is there something different about the oil they contain?

I’d urge caution. There are several different types of mineral oils: naphtenic, parafenic, and aromatic. I’m not sure which group horticulture oils fall into or if the other kinds might be harmful to plants. Might be best to just get one that’s formulated for plants.
S

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d urge caution. There are several different types of mineral oils: naphtenic, parafenic, and aromatic. I’m not sure which group horticulture oils fall into or if the other kinds might be harmful to plants. Might be best to just get one that’s formulated for plants.
S
Gotcha. I was thinking plain old food grade from the store. I'll stick with the plant stuff though. Thanks!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
AD39890E-B0F1-44BC-84A0-EF4A9AE14574.jpeg

The swelling buds on my trees tell me it’s the time of year to continue dormant treatments. Yesterday, I applied a 5% lime sulfur solution (6.5 oz/gallon) to all my trees that lost their leaves. This year, I sprayed my black pine trees as well - I’ll let you know how they do. I’ll reapply several times until bud break. In Houston, with our warm and wet springs, we have the perfect breeding grounds for fungal issues, especially on maple trees. Here’s a short video from one of Daisaku Nomoto’s apprentices demonstrating the process they undertake in their garden (the link was sent to me by Jonas Dupuich). They have an extra step in which they apply an event more concentrated solution to the trunk. I think this might be for asthetic reasons in order to create a white trunk on their maples, but I’ve written a note to Daisaku to be sure.

Scott

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it too late to spray LS on this Stewartia?

Attachments

• 6A723B28-D834-4943-AF9C-192EF7E32F23.jpeg
    6A723B28-D834-4943-AF9C-192EF7E32F23.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 25
  • 37B2CFEF-5007-4457-9189-62A900EC4DC6.jpeg
    37B2CFEF-5007-4457-9189-62A900EC4DC6.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom