Dormant Sprays

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I missed dormant spraying my pines earlier in the winter. We're going to have a (spring fluke) string of 4 days around 50 degrees here in NY so I was going to spray them this weekend. I had planned to mix lime sulfer and volck oil. But after reading the volck oil label it says do not combine with lime sulfer and do not spray with lime sulfer within 30 days of using volck... Anyone know why they say not to do this, everything I've heard and read prior to actually reading the label was that a combination worked fine.

Ben

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not sure of the exact reason but I'm guessing it's some kind of chemical reaction. I do know from experience though to follow all label instructions when it comes to chemicals. These companies have done a lot of testing and research and I don't think they arbitrarily make stuff up.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beng,
I am guessing you are in the lower part of NY or LI like myself? I'm concerned about the weather too. Two of the 4 days i think it is still supposed to drop into the 30's at night and then after the 4 days back to consistently in the 30's.
I don't have any experience with dormant sprays, but do you know of any other precautions we can take? Mine are all in the ground behind burlap on the side of my house. I'm hoping for the best.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can use it without lime sulfur. Why are you concerned about temperatures and dormant oil spray ?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You can't use oil sprays like volck if temps are going to fall below freezing. I wanted to use the lime sulfer as a preventative for needle cast on black pines. I wanted to spray with volck in order to suffocate any overwintering insects. Thought I could get it done in one shot. I'll span it out and do the lime sulfer now and the volck next month.

NYbonsai as for the warm temps nothing we can do to keep trees from breaking dormancy too early other then to keep them in the shade on warm days.

Ben

Top Bottom