Dos Pumillos, My Nugo Pines

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost looks like a nute burn to me, those tips at least.
I'll read your mugo pages from front to back again, see if there's anything I have missed that I can use for my mugo.
Thanks for the advice.

My Mugo threads don't contain much useful information.

I think I threw a Mugo for Real joint on the Mugo Train, it is the only valuable bit I have on Mugo myself.
It is merely Vance's Schedule that works perfectly.
However, I am trying to uncover, as I hope the "For Real" Resorces do...
The Signs we all must uncover to understand how to translate a schedule in a different climate, to one that works in your garden.

For Mugo, (ooo...search "reinforcing")
There is a reinforcement of buds that takes place.
It coincides with the time "cut back before August" (ish I forget)

There are always signs, tree talk, that will guide us to understand things better in our own garden.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have been talking that talk for 10 years now, but only in herbaceous plants. Trees, and especially pines are new to me. I'll spare you the massacre stories, but their language is slowly taking foothold.
Trial and error, a lot of error.
I'll go do my research now, thanks again for the hints!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been talking that talk for 10 years now, but only in herbaceous plants. Trees, and especially pines are new to me. I'll spare you the massacre stories, but their language is slowly taking foothold.
Trial and error, a lot of error.
I'll go do my research now, thanks again for the hints!

Leo and I were also talking about vigorous growth.....

That led to this FB rant which hints at why we stagnate.

But is your collection growing??

Recently had a chat with a 40year enthusiast about how hard it is to Understand what Vigorous growth is.

To briefly explore why this is so...

2 types of people get into Bonsai. Plant people, and artists.

Plant people get vigorous growth but they are afraid to work the tree without an artists soul, no good outcome.

Artists...artists are keen to create so they dice up anything they can find!

(Enter Vigor Blinders, Human Emotions)

Our initial amazement in our creation is our first setback.
Our joy to discover new growth on our creation is the second setback.

Unfortunately, this is where the best artists get trapped by their human emotions, foolishly appeased by this weak growth on weak trees.

Balance. Human and Tree.

When the Plant person loses their fear..
And the Artist refuses to be fooled...

We will witness more success.

When the collection grows faster than the collection grows!?

Took me about 5 years to identify vigorous growth.
And after 7 years of following "repot in spring" advice, I am going into my 8th year for the first time with Healthy trees I can actually create something sustainable with, because I repotted in SUMMER.
(my climate only disclaimer)

Here's to you figuring it out quicker than that!

#yourgardenyourclimate
#bonsaiforreal
#deeplyrootedinthought
#definingthegrainofsalt

So anyway.....

The simplest, most cost effective way to cure this is to keep 2. One you will dice up, and one you will allow to grow until you witness vigorous growth.

Find your Dead extreme.
And your Live extreme.

And Balance them.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a tough balance because it's in fact quite the opposing forces if you ask me; feelings vs. facts.
Feeling that a tree needs more motion, that a branch needs a stronger bend, but knowing that it's factually not the time to do so. I like that wrestle. I like those screw ups, and I love what comes out of it. I don't get it why people hide those struggles. It adds character. Getting a drug addict back working at a full time job takes more character and skill than taking a banker to work at another bank. A tree should show the same character.

I think there's bonsIKEA; we'll tell you how to do it, we'll show you pictures before, during and after, we'll do some together if you want, and when you're done you'll have what the catalogue said: our Swedish design, as designed by IKEA. I see this happen in most clubs. That's where the plant lovers lack the art-ism.
I think there's also Artsai: Make an awesome design, break all the rules, break all the branches, kill all the trees. This is where the artists lack the plant-ism. This is where I started and stopped 10 years ago.
And there's bonsai: We'll tell you how to do it, how others did it, then you should do it in your own way, because you're the one going to have to look at it and care for it for years to come. This is what I want to achieve, this is what pisses people off and make the other half of the people fall in love. The fine balance..

As soon as this mugo turns back green again (it's on its way), I'm getting another one to chop up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Getting a drug addict back working at a full time job takes more character and skill than taking a banker to work at another bank. A tree should show the same character.

Love this! Amen!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I totally forgot this is the dabbing mugo!

It's still on a good slow path to it's 30 year future.

Actually had enough growth near the keeper parts to need a cut back.

Random back side root shot.
20200711_115359.jpg

Most of the future.
20200711_115350.jpg

Post trim.
20200711_115225.jpg

Back to 2 on the hand branch, guess that was all it's current cutting actually!
20200711_115331.jpg

3 before.
20200711_115015.jpg

This is the sacrifice on the keeper side trunk, It was reduced to just the middle shoot right.
20200711_115020.jpg

I think I might soon be able to remove a lot more old sac and start pushing more growth on the keeper and keeper sac.

Sorce

Top Bottom