Double trunk elm

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice....This will give you an opportunity for some fabulous carving. It has the potential to look ancient with a great deal of character really soon.
Buds? Healthy?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So my plan is choose one of the main brnaches of the right side and make a second apex there in 2 or 3 years.
Chop the left apex smaller.

Untitled.png

I don't know if I am playing this too much on the safe and obvious side.
I would love to hear some opinions/verts

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How big is this? It certainly has character already built in. I think your virt is a good direction to shoot at.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm cleaning it up today and putting in it a free draining soil to be able to water with the automatic watering system. I will measure it then. I am guessing 45-50cm (17,7-19,6 inches according to google.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Repoted into a grow box.
It had some really good roots.

It just needs some wire now.

20180709_225558.jpg20180709_222039.jpg20180709_225615.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d work toward a more unruly ancient tree....gnarly branched more like that tree in the back of your photo in the brown unglazed pot. Low branches reaching for the ground and higher up branching pushing up for the light. Some interesting breakaway carving in the middle. Less like pine tree branching. That’s just my thinking though....my opinion...but I don’t have the tree in front of me like you do.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Definitely an older ancient tree.
My drawing was way to pine-ish... I was wondering if it is not against any rule to use the front from the right side of the last picture, where the smaller trunk aims 45° forward to the right.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You’ll get lots of opinions....my thought is...use it like you’re thinking. It is your tree and your creativity.

I like the smaller trunk on the right best also. I think rotating it so that small trunk does point more toward the front, as you describe the 45 degree angle (hmmmm...I wonder how to type one of those degree circles). Anyway. I think you’re headed in the right direction. If you like it...that’s what counts most. I think that as you work with the tree you’ll find that angle direction is a good reward. You’ll need to pay attention to the canopy of both trunks so they compliment and not fight. It can be done....you can do it.

I’d Google research double trunks and inspect natural growth of other trees for ideas on canopy handling...and other aspects of natural growth.

You have a good start on a fabulous tree. Mighty fine....Nice work!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your tree reminds me of one that was struck by lightning a long time ago that continued some growth from a section that remained alive. The trunk was split...working with that feeling of an ancient split could be very exciting. A bit of carving in the center V and letting nature work on the aging. While you attend to the canopy growth could be a good experience.

Not like your tree....but I have a Hornbeam in a box that has half a trunk alive and half dead. I almost threw it away once. But kept it anyway. It reminded me of an old Maple Ive seen in a forest that was struck by lightning. I could show you what time with nature working it’s magic could do to the trunk carving. My Hornbeam is not necessarily an attractive tree...but I keep it around for the deadwood inspiration. It seems to get more interesting each year....well the dead half does anyway. If interested.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad someone said it and it wasn’t just my thoughts.. your virt was of a pine yes lol.

I’ll take this one @BobbyLane .. *cough* look up pictures of mature Elms and double trunks, branch structure their style and overall image :).

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad someone said it and it wasn’t just my thoughts.. your virt was of a pine yes lol.

I’ll take this one @BobbyLane .. *cough* look up pictures of mature Elms and double trunks, branch structure their style and overall image :).

yes that and Judyb also has some nice natural looking twin trunks. theres a thread somewhere on my sleepy hollow elm, twin type thingy
20180408_185539 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice one, Bobby!
You guys are right. My virt was quite crappy.
I still need to figure out where the apexes will be

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice one, Bobby!
You guys are right. My virt was quite crappy.
I still need to figure out where the apexes will be

Not at all crappy! It’s difficult to do a virt and most don’t do it but it’s appreciated by the people on the forum cos it’s much easier to display your thoughts than by text.
The style was just different. But hey, style how you like. I think most are just more on board with naturalistic. So Elms looking like Elms but still your tree, your hobby and your enjoyment. So up to you :)

Top Bottom