Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Got this weird fungus...
I was thinking of applying lime sulfur.

View attachment 240998View attachment 240999

Hi,
I have seen this quite a bit on rotting logs in the forests or wastelands. I think you might need to try and find out if there is more rotten wood in this. Also, thinking you will need some wood hardener when done so wood can’t rot any more.
Hopefully more experienced members come by this thread as I could on the wrong track with my thinking ?
Charles

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Max, perhaps if you tried spraying it with a copper-based fungicide?
I don't think that will work.
I think these are just fruiting bodies of a wood-rot type of fungus - IOW, I think there likely is rotten wood inside. I've had some success by cauterizing the area with a butane torch. In this case, take the tree out of the pot and turn it upside down then cauterize the area without heating unrelated tissues/structures.

Of course, @barrosinc see if this makes sense - poke the area with the points of your scissors, for example, to see if the area is soft and rotten/rotting. If so, maybe remove as much of the rot as you can before cauterizing the area. There is always the possibility of making a storybook style tree of it.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Max, perhaps if you tried spraying it with a copper-based fungicide?
Sadly... yes.

Is it growing on a dead spot on the trunk? If so, maybe you should carve it a little.
Yep... did that. It was a mess!!!
Had to carve away a lot.
20190803_145559.jpg

Lost a lot of tree.
20190803_152706.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't think that will work.
I think these are just fruiting bodies of a wood-rot type of fungus - IOW, I think there likely is rotten wood inside. I've had some success by cauterizing the area with a butane torch. In this case, take the tree out of the pot and turn it upside down then cauterize the area without heating unrelated tissues/structures.

Of course, @barrosinc see if this makes sense - poke the area with the points of your scissors, for example, to see if the area is soft and rotten/rotting. If so, maybe remove as much of the rot as you can before cauterizing the area. There is always the possibility of making a storybook style tree of it.
I got that from 3 different people... so repotted and scraped all rot off. It felt like cork.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi,
I have seen this quite a bit on rotting logs in the forests or wastelands. I think you might need to try and find out if there is more rotten wood in this. Also, thinking you will need some wood hardener when done so wood can’t rot any more.
Hopefully more experienced members come by this thread as I could on the wrong track with my thinking ?
Charles
Right on target! Perfect diagnosis

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have access to lime sulfur, it will kill fungi on contact. It helps to preserve the wood. It doesn't penetrate very deep, so it is not a cure all. Treat with lime sulfur, let it age a month or two, the follow up with the wood hardener.

Actually if you were successful stopping progress of the rot, once the edges heal up and make a rolled edge, the wound will look cool.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you have access to lime sulfur, it will kill fungi on contact. It helps to preserve the wood. It doesn't penetrate very deep, so it is not a cure all. Treat with lime sulfur, let it age a month or two, the follow up with the wood hardener.

Actually if you were successful stopping progress of the rot, once the edges heal up and make a rolled edge, the wound will look cool.
Thanks, Leo.
I applied lime sulphur just in case. I am working on saving the tree for now.

I think I removed all rotten wood, although you never know.

By wood hardnerer, what do you mean? I thought lime sulphur did that.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks, Leo.
I applied lime sulphur just in case. I am working on saving the tree for now.

I think I removed all rotten wood, although you never know.

By wood hardnerer, what do you mean? I thought lime sulphur did that.

Wood hardener is somewhat like a glue that seeps into the wood to harden/protect it from decay. Here's an example of one:

Top Bottom