doubts the brightness of the leaves

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
the leaves of my boxwood bonsai seem to be losing their luster.

Can that mean anything? is it a mistake in fertilization? How do I solve it?

They are green but not as shiny as another box I have here.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh cool. So I don't have to worry about anything right?
I am on my cellphone currently. (Smaller image) But nothing sends out alarm signals with what I am seeing. I think you can breathe a bit easier. Healthy growth on a tree is always a good sign.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It reminds me of the trips to Emergency Room with our oldest, when he was a newborn..

Dr. “Ok, so this is Riley?.. Hi there, Riley.. and what seems to be the problem guys?”

Us: “He sneezed!”

Them: “First kid, eh?”

🤣

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As mentioned, these are evergreen. But that doesn't mean they keep leaves forever. As the older leaves age, they will lose luster...especially before they get ready to drop...sort of the broadleaf evergreen's "fall colors". Broadleaf evergreens often lose leaves in the spring shortly after new growth. As mentioned, the lighter color leaves are signs of new growth...which is good :)

Now the question is if you get enough new growth to fully replace the old growth that will fall off. If less, the tree is likely suffering in some way. If about equal, you're pretty much status quo. If you get more new leaves than ones you lose, you've got nice vigorous growth :) If you're still in the growth stage, you definitely want the latter!

Top Bottom