Doug Fir No. 1

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had a subscription to bonsai mirai for a while because Ryan Neil was the only online personality I found with in depth knowledge of how to keep this tree small that is clearly communicated.
Yeah I just subbed Sunday. I’ve been eating up all the Doug videos….

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If all the new needles are green, I wouldn’t worry too much. Could still be stabilizing from collection. Sounds like your regimen is pretty on point to me. But perhaps someone with more expertise will chime in.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If all the new needles are green, I wouldn’t worry too much. Could still be stabilizing from collection. Sounds like your regimen is pretty on point to me. But perhaps someone with more expertise will chime in.
I also looked under where the older needles were browning/ discolored and the underside there was no issue.. it was def sunburned during that heat spell a couple weeks ago.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also looked under where the older needles were browning/ discolored and the underside there was no issue.. it was def sunburned during that heat spell a couple weeks ago.
Personal Doug Fir did not sunburn on most exposed parts during hot weeks. However had some drying up where most shaded. Believe to be combination of shading and lackluster watering this summer. Normally fertilize weekly with 20-20-20 chemical fertilizer during growing season until rainy season begins and watering ends. After normal growth hardens off give conifers fertilizer 2X a week. This tree sprouted in another trees pot about 2006 so is 16 years of age.

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My Doug fir was and still is seeping sap in the trunk. So I scraped it away just to see if there was anything boring in there.. I luckily didn’t.. just asking to see if this is coming for Doug’s to leak sap out of the bark. I did notice when I purchased it but it seemed that the tree was either recovering from a past infestation. Like I said I didn’t find any fras or anything just like a slowly weeping sap flow that never completely ended.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 73
  • E6309411-35E0-4FB2-A1A9-14D1088D5734.png
    E6309411-35E0-4FB2-A1A9-14D1088D5734.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
9.1 inX 6.9 in X 2.4 in Yamaaki pot will be the pot, got a deal on it. Perfect size , rootball is small, and the rectangle will look nice , going to the foliage on the right will look nice with its own separate mini apex. Hell may even be the tree one day w the lower foliage and Jin the entire top leaving that straight peace ..

Attachments

• E763C3C8-DE3E-484A-82A1-F37FF2AE9DE3.jpeg
    E763C3C8-DE3E-484A-82A1-F37FF2AE9DE3.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 58

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just kept losing and losing needles. Roots were dead, pumice completely broke down , my guess from freeze thaw .. never touching Doug fir again

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So sorry about tree. NEVER heard of pumice breaking down. Sounds like you were given crapadama instead.

Top Bottom