Doug Fir No. 1

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Got this Doug Fir at Natures Way today. I loved the bark, deadwood and the different options it has. It’s a elongating species so I will prune appropriately, to not let is get leggy , to push back buds and pad formation. Will be kept in a shaded area , and watered as needed certainly won’t under water it. Thinking of styling it in a informal upright or cascade some day with some heavy bends. This will be its progression thread.

Attachments

• 03BA446F-C109-4AC5-B934-6B94D113000F.jpeg
    03BA446F-C109-4AC5-B934-6B94D113000F.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 48251EEE-C54D-44BD-BC21-0398EB3CECDD.jpeg
    48251EEE-C54D-44BD-BC21-0398EB3CECDD.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 209

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Unless you’re having a bad heatwave, wouldn’t keep it in shade.
At the nursery they were saying they kept it in an area that got sun of course but also some respite from the shade. I’m in 6b so just don’t want to cook the foliage or roots. We have cold winters w enough time for dormancy so that’s good atleast

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had a subscription to bonsai mirai for a while because Ryan Neil was the only online personality I found with in depth knowledge of how to keep this tree small that is clearly communicated.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good material! Nice craggy bark. I agree with @PiñonJ and @Tycoss and keep my Doug Fir in basically full sun. I only have 1. Last year I kept it in morning sun afternoon shade and it did fine as well. But better looking foliage and buds from full sun and plenty of water.

Look forward to seeing what you do with this. 👍🏼

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing about the heat, if it's in a plastic pot like that, I'd try to shade or insulate the roots. The only larger spring collected spruce I lost in the past three years was because I left it in full sun in a black nursery pot and cooked the roots. I now put spruce and fir in wood or ceramic containers and haven't had that problem again. Painting the pot white may also help.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One thing about the heat, if it's in a plastic pot like that, I'd try to shade or insulate the roots. The only larger spring collected spruce I lost in the past three years was because I left it in full sun in a black nursery pot and cooked the roots. I now put spruce and fir in wood or ceramic containers and haven't had that problem again. Painting the pot white may also help.
What about wrapping aluminum foil around it?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It easy to poke a meat thermometer in the pot (or between the pot wall and soil/substrate plug) to see what the temperature really is, rather than 'wait and see'. They are available on the baking aisle of your local grocery store (and, most likely, your fav hardware store too) for less than $15.

I think you will find that as long as the substrate is wet, the temperature doesn't rise much because of the huge heat capacity that water has (i.e. it takes a lot of energy to raise water one degree). BUT when it gets dry-ish the temperature of the pot and nearby soil/substrate will soar. If you are around to water toward mid-afternoons it won't be a problem with spruce, for example, but pines .... :eek:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It easy to poke a meat thermometer in the pot (or between the pot wall and soil/substrate plug) to see what the temperature really is, rather than 'wait and see'. They are available on the baking aisle of your local grocery store (and, most likely, your fav hardware store too) for less than $15.

I think you will find that as long as the substrate is wet, the temperature doesn't rise much because of the huge heat capacity that water has (i.e. it takes a lot of energy to raise water one degree). BUT when it gets dry-ish the temperature of the pot and nearby soil/substrate will soar. If you are around to water toward mid-afternoons it won't be a problem with spruce, for example, but pines .... :eek:
haha I’m aware, I’m putting my heat sensitive stuff in a area that will shade quicker and less peak temp sun tomorrow. I also wrapped the pots in aluminum foil to lessen the heat transfer from pot to substrate /roots. I haven’t had too much trouble with pines overheating this summer they’re alittle more tolerant to heat / sun, been watering in am and after work around 5 , but by then the back yard is all shaded out and morning sun is blocked by tall trees in the back.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got this Doug Fir at Natures Way today. I loved the bark, deadwood and the different options it has. It’s a elongating species so I will prune appropriately, to not let is get leggy , to push back buds and pad formation. Will be kept in a shaded area , and watered as needed certainly won’t under water it. Thinking of styling it in a informal upright or cascade some day with some heavy bends. This will be its progression thread.
Interesting possibilities. Not sure what to do with low branch but love it😊.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Better pictures, I have it wrapped in foil to reflect some light. watered it enough to keep roots cool , especially when it’s hot out

Attachments

• F0B38DF2-4E98-47A4-9087-75E66DBC5856.jpeg
    F0B38DF2-4E98-47A4-9087-75E66DBC5856.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 131
  • CED52434-C042-4D4D-BA7F-7A852162E460.jpeg
    CED52434-C042-4D4D-BA7F-7A852162E460.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 2EC99D37-2346-41FC-8FBF-0E3DB073DFDF.jpeg
    2EC99D37-2346-41FC-8FBF-0E3DB073DFDF.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 99

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some needles are turning from dark green to a brown. I water daily to keep roots cool and provide water. It’s in full sun , my water pH is 6.5 - 7( no lead pipes all plastic or copper)

Attachments

• 6F0CEB0F-B314-4A4D-9845-1C24E3CAE2AC.jpeg
    6F0CEB0F-B314-4A4D-9845-1C24E3CAE2AC.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 129

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is it just the older needles turning color, or is it also this year’s growth? Hard to tell from the photo.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I guess my question is , those of you who have Doug firs in a pumice substrate , bolstering it towards its style/ repot phase what’s your feeding regiment.
Not styling this tree for another year or two …repotting after 3 years I’ll decide in spring how the foliage looks if it has buds juvenile forming . It was collected in 2019 like I posted earlier. Using 12-8-8 every 4 weeks fertilizer cakes , and staggered once every 2 fish fertilizer 2-4-1 (fish protein hydrolysate and Phosphoric acid. The dilution is light with the fish fertilizer , using a pressure sprayer used during watering once every 2 weeks. Regular watering in the evening , before I go and sit for 8.5 hours a day with a coworker who annoys the shit outta me I check the soil lightly misting in the morning. It’s oriented in a position in the yard that is gets shade 3:45- 4pm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom