Doug Fir Noobie

Reaction score
Collected this little Douglas Fir about a year and a half ago, and figured it wouldn't live since it was looking a little rough (curled and yellowed needles, etc), but it finally budded and now I'm ready to try and bonsai it. As far as water/sunlight/soil are concerned, I think I have all that down. It's the pruning and wiring that I'm afraid to jump into without at least some guidance. This is my first ever bonsai, so don't hesitate telling me what I'm doing wrong. I keep it in full sun, unless it's a heatwave like it is right now, and keep it from drying out. Fertilized it all fall and spring, about once every two weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_9042.jpg
    IMG_9042.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9052.jpg
    IMG_9052.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9053.jpg
    IMG_9053.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 40

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile for best advice. Sounds good so far. Tree still needs to grow, recover, develop solid root support. Maybe could add "some" movement to trunk if having idea what is desired for future. Otherwise allow to grow freely for couple more years. Let trunk grow up up up for added size on lower trunk☺️.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't hesitate telling me what I'm doing wrong

Everything!

Welcome to Crazy!

I just went on a rhythm rant, so I think it's important to find out, know, how many seasons it will take to recover from it's little trauma and show you it's rhythm, the one that should bond you for life.

That's a long time to be stepping on feet.

Get comfortable in patience waiting to see this rhythm by knowing that you don't have to do anything till your design is ruined.

If the trunk needs movement, don't do it till right before it can't be bent.
If you need to force a branch back, don't do it till right before the first fork branch is dead.

Never a rush always a must.

Sorce

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm in Portland, OR. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom