Douglas Fir from Mt Baker

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
I made a grow box today from the cedar patio that was being torn our nextdoor today and some stainless hardware I bought from a 1960s boat building estate sale, I bought a whole milk crate for $20, these screws are probably $1 each if bought today so I have plenty of hardware, used the recess rings that were included to try and grip as much wood real estate as possible since this is old used cedar decking. I put the painted/stained part on the outside away from the tree.

20210630_163238.jpg

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am tempted now to re-pot, as you can see from the top I have the trunk up against the side to fit in the root that had fines in it and would like to center the trunk to develop roots on the other side. I didn't make the box too deep since you can see in the second photo that I can remove a couple inches from the top since the trunk is buried a bit.
I added one of my baby Madrone to see if it can take advantage of the microbial soil from the native forest. Maybe I will keep it as a PNW forest group.
I wired some of the small lower branches to get them to droop while they are still young, also the thin trunk was crossing behind the main trunk so I did some fiberglass window screen and aluminum wire to guy it away at a nice angle.
You can see all the back budding going on, this tree was pretty shaded on one side hence it's going crazy budding.
Once the inner portion of the branches fills in I can shorten them but that is probably a couple years away.

20210630_172232.jpg20210630_165925.jpg

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Since this is the front I chose, there probably isn't a reason to rush and kill the tree to root the back side, think I will wait till early next spring and cut the pot away and add a bonsai mix and not disturb the roots, also remove the top few inches till I am just above the roots. Might need to remove some soil from the bottom to get it level.
I build the 4 corner pieces an inch below the top so that when filled with substrate they won't show.
The next choice will be where to lop the top, you can see right at the top of the fence line there is a branch that is more like a leader, it has branches on all sides of it so if I cut just above it should still provide auxins but that is probably 2 years away until all the lower branches have back budded and been shortened.
I want to keep it a rather tall bonsai, since most of what I have now is pretty short.
Very happy with my first $10 Christmas tree haul, think I will buy more "Christmas Tree Permits" this November.

20210630_165919.jpg

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dude thank you for the idea about using Xmas tree permits to legally collect trees. In OR the permits are only $5. Going into my calendar.
Your welcome, I bought it online and it gave a map showing where you can collect them and which areas were not to be used. I think it opened in November, have to look again but this year I will get more and bring more trash bags and a bigger pick.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Since this is the front I chose, there probably isn't a reason to rush and kill the tree to root the back side, think I will wait till early next spring and cut the pot away and add a bonsai mix and not disturb the roots, also remove the top few inches till I am just above the roots. Might need to remove some soil from the bottom to get it level.
I build the 4 corner pieces an inch below the top so that when filled with substrate they won't show.

A word of advice if I may. If you just cut off the pot and put the rootball into much larger container with much better draining mix (I guess that's the bonsai mix you're referring to) you're on a good way to harm the tree. The reason being would be that any water you pour on it will just flow through the better draining mix at the sides and not much will get into the compacted stuff you're having in the pot right now. If the tree is healthy and vital there should be no problem doing some root work when repotting. If it's not in that kind of health, wait one more season.

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
A word of advice if I may. If you just cut off the pot and put the rootball into much larger container with much better draining mix (I guess that's the bonsai mix you're referring to) you're on a good way to harm the tree. The reason being would be that any water you pour on it will just flow through the better draining mix at the sides and not much will get into the compacted stuff you're having in the pot right now. If the tree is healthy and vital there should be no problem doing some root work when repotting. If it's not in that kind of health, wait one more season.
Thanks for the advice, I think I will wait till next season, it lost a lot of needles as you can see from the last picture where I collected it, it drains really well right now, I used a soil mix from a bulk supplier that I used for my raised garden beds, sand and compost mix. All my Italian Stone Pines have it and they really are doing well, sold off all but one of the 2 yr olds, they bulk up fast.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Waiting is the better option. You lost a significant portion of the needles from the collection photo. Don't repot until AFTER a full season with vigorous growth. One summer might not be enough. Maybe yes, maybe no. You will have to evaluate next spring.

If you are itching for bonsai things to do, make a few more boxes, in anticipation of collecting next autumn, winter or early spring.

You can always pick up some nursery stock if you really want to cut on something.

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Leo, once I looked at the collection picture it struck me how much I lost, also I have an Adelgid problem and sprayed oil on all my Dougs so that didn't help.
I have plenty of volunteers to wrench on, just get tired of weeding and feeding all the time.

20210701_110850.jpg20210701_110856.jpg20210701_110908.jpg

Top Bottom