Douglas fir progression

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes, I was wondering about the characteristics also. So what type of fir do you think it is? The fact that you brought it from 10,000 ft down to your level and it is living is pretty amazing also.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I was wondering about the characteristics also. So what type of fir do you think it is? The fact that you brought it from 10,000 ft down to your level and it is living is pretty amazing also.
Almost certain it’s a Doug Fir.
I did have to give it partial shade during the hottest months, but otherwise it hasn’t skipped a bit. And honestly, the collection site was prob more like 9.2 or so.
What is cool is The englemann spruce I collected from the same area say in full sun through our hottest months and did not skip a beat. Very strong growth all summer. I thought for sure I’d have to shade those as well.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was one of my original thoughts when I first collected, but a couple senior members commented that it was not. And after looking more in to it, sub alpine bark is so much more smooth, or elephant like.
Those buds are also distinctly 100% Pseudotsuga.

(Subalpine fir buds are blunted with a silvery tan color. They have “plates” of tissue on the tips, are coarser than Douglas-fir, and do not have the tight and smooth appearance we see here)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with @parhamr, buds sure look like pseudotsuga buds and not abies. The leaves seem odd to me, but are arrayed around the stem, which is tsuga-like and not like abies that tend to come off the stem in a plane.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves seem odd to me, but are arrayed around the stem, which is tsuga-like and not like abies that tend to come off the stem in a plane
I’ve seen Rocky Mountain Pseudotsuga from Todd Schlafer and Randy Knight — the needle appearance and distribution is quite different from our Western Douglas-fir.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve seen Rocky Mountain Pseudotsuga from Todd Schlafer and Randy Knight — the needle appearance and distribution is quite different from our Western Douglas-fir.
Yeah this one is from northern New Mexico. Near Tres Piedras, just south of the CO border. I collected 3 Englemann spruce at the same time. In this area the abundance of stunted trees is incredible.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Styled this tree! Unfortunately I don’t have a good spot to phot my larger trees after a recent move. So I’ll just show a nice pic of all the healthy buds beginning to unfurl. Nice full tree pic coming soon. View attachment 295486
Nice! Check out my photo of Dougy cone buds on The New Growth Thread. Post #107. I also have my Abies lasiocarpa buds on #117. I'll post my Engelmann, as well.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Check out my photo of Dougy cone buds on The New Growth Thread. Post #107. I also have my Abies lasiocarpa buds on #117. I'll post my Engelmann, as well.
Will do! As @Colorado said, spruce and other elongating species have such beautiful new growth.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is. I’ll probably remove more off of the branch on the bottom right. I prefer the primary branch to be on the bottom left. Needs some tidying up, but that will be next styling session. I need the healthy buds to fill things in. E8CBDFDB-6CA7-4B91-ABC8-FD36C5044B26.jpeg

future branch removal. Give or take.
850B6EDC-136D-4F48-BB06-A98AD4D6331A.jpeg

Top Bottom